Soc/Assoc
    London SW
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fourth Official

Morning,

I've got a gig as fourth official at a Women's game this weekend. Am looking forward to it (and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Question is....what, in general terms, am I expected to do as a 4th official? I'm sure it'll differ from ref to ref, but any pointers would be good. Merci.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fourth Official

is there a 5th official or are you managing both teams?

1. make sure you're full bottle on substition laws and regulations. I'd have a copy of these in case you're challenged.
    2. ensure you know what you are responsible to do and cover all contingencies (eg what will you do if you have 3 players in the bin - have 3 watches or someone to assist?)
    3. do you have to run water to the ref?
    4. introduce yourself to the team manager/s early and ensure they are ready. Over here teams have 8 player movement cards that they give to #4. Make sure they have these.
    5. will you communicate directly to ref or via AR? Check the right protocols (eg what colours will the ref be using)
    6. During the game be available & visible to team manager and be alert to players warming up, injuries that may lead to a sub, etc
    7. be confident in yourself. If you think that a player may have not come off and there are 16 on the pitch, tell the ref to hold
    8. player in the bin - tell her and manager frequently how long to go - maybe every 2 or 3 minutes.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Most importantly, helping the To3 by taking over substitutions, and possibly sin-bin times.

In the rather unlikely event of the referee being incapacitated, being ready to take over from which AR is promoted.

Keep coaches and subs in their respective technical zones, allow water carriers and medical staff on as appropriate.

If there are ball-kids, keep an eye on them. Not because they are your responsibility, but because what happens in the playing enclosure but outside the field of play is.

Know before kick-off who official photographers are, if any. Keep them in touch too.

Have fun!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FatherFlipper View Post
    Morning,

I've got a gig as fourth official at a Women's game this weekend. Am looking forward to it (and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Question is....what, in general terms, am I expected to do as a 4th official? I'm sure it'll differ from ref to ref, but any pointers would be good. Merci.
    Have you checked your society's web site? They should have a PDF listing the duties of the 4th official. They should also have a copy of their preferred subs' card for you to use as well (will make life easier for you).
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    London SW
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Timing is everything - the referee for the game has just emailed me the list of jobs/instructions/protocols for the game! Thanks for the advise above as well, matches what everyone has stated thus far. Does look like I'm managing both teams. And I hadn't even thought about photographers!

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FatherFlipper View Post
    Morning,

(and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Merci.
    Don't count on watching either the referee or the game.......you can be busy yourself and need to focus on your own business!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    There or there abouts
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Fourth official is like fielding in cricket... nothing happens for an age, and then chaos when the ball comes your way :-)

Usually all will be fine, until around the 60-minute mark... when both sides want to make substitutions.

Hope it went well!

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wert Twacky View Post
    Usually all will be fine, until around the 60-minute mark... when both sides want to make substitutions.
    Ah, you haven't dealt with Sevens - half a dozen subs and three tries within the same minute.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rushforth View Post
    Ah, you haven't dealt with Sevens - half a dozen subs and three tries within the same minute.
    Err I think she probably has!
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    There or there abouts
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Err I think she probably has!

Thread Information