Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Primary Rugby League for u10s/u11s

I'm in South West London. I must admit I'm really impressed with the way League operates for Juniors. The round robin festival format is way better than the long drawn out all-dayers we have in Union (although that is changing with NROP next year apparently).

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

... and ahs already in some areas Dan ie the round robin, everybody maximises game time and gets home before Tuesday.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, Didds. Are you seeing fewer injuries? I really think that for older minis (u11/u12) the old format is a contributing factor to some of the injuries we are seeing. Lot's of hanging round means that players get cold (and tired) between games. The newer format of basically one game on then one game off, for say 3 or 4 games, then go home is MUCH better all round.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don;t have that info Dan, sorry. I just know that in places like Hampshire these round robins formats have already been used.

Personally I was never a fan of the "old style" pool + QF+SF+F etc as it seemed to lead to ridiculously early starts, loads of non playing time, some interesting squad non-rotation by some coaches, and for those that progress especially a stupidly long day.

I've been at tournaments as a parent where some kids got 5 minutes playing time in 5 hours. That isn't a total fault of the tournament structure I'll grant, but that seemed to provide opportunities for some coaches to follow a policy that provided that. I soon refused to go, and if my children wanted to play despite this I'd make arrangements for their transportation

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I don;t have that info Dan, sorry. I just know that in places like Hampshire these round robins formats have already been used.

Personally I was never a fan of the "old style" pool + QF+SF+F etc as it seemed to lead to ridiculously early starts, loads of non playing time, some interesting squad non-rotation by some coaches, and for those that progress especially a stupidly long day.

I've been at tournaments as a parent where some kids got 5 minutes playing time in 5 hours. That isn't a total fault of the tournament structure I'll grant, but that seemed to provide opportunities for some coaches to follow a policy that provided that.
    Totally agree, I've seen plenty of that type of behaviour over the years!

Thread Information