Soc/Assoc
    London SW
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maul in goal

Evening,

Question here relating to a game I watched about a month back.

London play-off final. Visitors have a line-out from a penalty, on the five metre line. Catch, drive. Trundle forward, over the try line. However, maul is completely upright the entire time, and never even vaguely comes close to being dotted down. After a few moments of 15 players hugging on the spot in-goal, he blows, and awards a defensive scrum on the five.

Is this correct? The visiting fans around me were a little bit perplexed and thought it should have been scrum five as held up in goal. Yay or nay? I'll be honest and say I would have gone scrum five attacking as well on the same basis the visiting fans perceived. Any help would be gratefully received.

(as it was, the visiting scrum was so dominant, they won the scrum against the head and scored from the next phase in play anyway...)

Soc/Assoc
    SRUSR
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maul in goal

Quote Originally Posted by FatherFlipper View Post
    Evening,

Question here relating to a game I watched about a month back.

London play-off final. Visitors have a line-out from a penalty, on the five metre line. Catch, drive. Trundle forward, over the try line. However, maul is completely upright the entire time, and never even vaguely comes close to being dotted down. After a few moments of 15 players hugging on the spot in-goal, he blows, and awards a defensive scrum on the five.

Is this correct? The visiting fans around me were a little bit perplexed and thought it should have been scrum five as held up in goal. Yay or nay? I'll be honest and say I would have gone scrum five attacking as well on the same basis the visiting fans perceived. Any help would be gratefully received.

(as it was, the visiting scrum was so dominant, they won the scrum against the head and scored from the next phase in play anyway...)
    Had the ball crossed the goal line? If so, then the maul would be deemed to be over and I would say that it should have been called as held up and 5 metre attacking scrum awarded.

However, if the referee deemed that the ball had not crossed the goal line (and it seems this may well have been what he decided) then it sounds as if the awarded turnover of possession as a result of the attacking team taking the ball into the maul and failing to use it within the time the referee allowed.
    There are only 2 rules in rugby union:
    Rule 1: The referee is always right.
    Rule 2: If the referee is ever wrong ... refer to "Rule 1".

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had hoped this was a historical query!
    13. — Maul in Goal. When a player holding the ball is mauled by one or more of the opposite side outside goal, and carried inside goal by the scrummage, then only those who are touching the ball with their hands may continue in the maul inside goal, and when a player has once released his hold of the ball, he may not again join in the maul, and if he attempt to do so, may be dragged out by the opposite side. (The object of such maul being, of course, to touch the ball down.)
    But if a player running in is tackled inside goal-line, then only the player who first tackles him, or if two or three tackle him simultaneously may join in the maul.
    (1866)

However, as has been said.modern law has a different concept, and there is no such thing as a maul in goal nowadays.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffs_Ref View Post
    Had the ball crossed the goal line? If so, then the maul would be deemed to be over and I would say that it should have been called as held up and 5 metre attacking scrum awarded.

However, if the referee deemed that the ball had not crossed the goal line (and it seems this may well have been what he decided) then it sounds as if the awarded turnover of possession as a result of the attacking team taking the ball into the maul and failing to use it within the time the referee allowed.
    good answer.
    I wonder if the referee made a secondary signal

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Trouble is the secondary signal would probably be "maul held up" and woudl not help as to where it was held up. As suggested the crux is where he deamed the ball to be held up.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Trouble is the secondary signal would probably be "maul held up" and woudl not help as to where it was held up. As suggested the crux is where he deamed the ball to be held up.
    I don't think so. Held up in goal would be a different signal to an unsuccessful end to a maul in the FOP.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Trouble is the secondary signal would probably be "maul held up" .
    what signal is that then ???

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?signal_category=2
    Last edited by crossref; 06-06-16 at 21:06.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Maul in goal

Almost right. Scrum 5 is the way to go.
    22.10 Ball held up in-goal
    When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground the ball, the ball is dead. A 5-metre scrum is formed. This would apply if play similar to a maul takes place in in-goal. The attacking team throws in the ball.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

if the maul moved into in goal then continued on its merry way over DBL I would go with 22 drop out. The thing similar to a maul would need to become stationery (or very close to it) to be a 5 M scrum IMO
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    London SW
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks gents - to confirm: the whole maul shuffled aimlessly towards the middle of in-goal before just, sort of, stopping. No doubt where the ball was. Not sure if there was a secondary signal, as the action took place over the opposite side and the ref was slightly obscured by 15 blokes huddled together. The attacking players were, shall we say, slightly bemused (so add a few beers into the mix and you can imagine their fans befuddlement).

Thread Information