Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maul in goal

Quote Originally Posted by Elpablo73 View Post
    Immediately - without delay; at once.

This is a personal measure and is a very small amount of time. Possibly how long it take you to decide the ball has crossed the goal line. So ranging from it is being ripped as the ball is crossing the line, to saying "the ball has crossed the goal line, the ball has been ripped".
    That doesn't sound very fair to me. I presume you're not saying the attacking team have to get the ball down immediately, so why do the defending team have to rip the ball immediately?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the defending team doesn't rip immediately I would be giving a held-up in goal (22.10). 5m attacking scrum

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Elpablo73 View Post
    If the defending team doesn't rip immediately I would be giving a held-up in goal (22.10). 5m attacking scrum
    But why immediately? You'll give the attacking team time to get the ball to ground, why not let the defending team have the same amount of time to rip the ball?

Blowing for the ball being held up is what happens when the players haven't resolved the situation on their own and should be considered a last resort (albeit one that's more frequent than the other outcomes).

While the situation is still evolving, let the players get on with it. The attacking team are wanting to touch down, the defending team are wanting to get the ball into TiG or to rip it (though they'll often settle for holding it up). Only if neither side succeeds in doing that (or if the attacking side infringe) should you award an attacking scrum 5.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Maul in goal

DocY

As I said when I originally posted my response I am relatively new to refereeing so was putting forward my limited experience of this situation. I do still believe that the majority of outcomes of a maul going in goal would be beneficial to the attacking team.

However, you have given me pause for thought that if, whilst this collection of players is still moving, the defending side should be given the chance to do something with the ball, whether it be rip it and ground it, rip it and return it to the field of play or take everything TiG.

Just a follow-on question: If the defending successfully rip the ball and they are held up, how do we restart the game? 22m DO because it was taken in by the attacking side, 5m defending scrum or something else?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Still Attacking 5m scrum:

22.10 Ball held up in-goal

When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground the ball, the ball is dead. A 5-metre scrum is formed. This would apply if play similar to a maul takes place in in-goal. The attacking team throws in the ball.

When ANY player carrying the ball is held up, the attacking team throw in to a 5m scrum. (Emphasis, not shouting!)
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a 'non-maul' has moved into in-goal this is a potential try scoring position; If it still moving and the ball carrier has close support why would you not wait a few seconds to see if a try can be scored -if I had possession I would not be happy if the ref blew up when all I had to do was get to ground (accepting you cannot wait forever). I would suggest if it is still moving and is then forced over the dead ball line by defenders that a 5m scrum to the defenders is the most equitable outcome, you gave the attackers every chance to do something but the defenders defended it successfully.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    I would suggest if it is still moving and is then forced over the dead ball line by defenders that a 5m scrum to the defenders is the most equitable outcome, you gave the attackers every chance to do something but the defenders defended it successfully.
    it may or may not be equitable (I am not sure) but surely it's clearly wrong in Law.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    If a 'non-maul' has moved into in-goal this is a potential try scoring position; If it still moving and the ball carrier has close support why would you not wait a few seconds to see if a try can be scored -if I had possession I would not be happy if the ref blew up when all I had to do was get to ground (accepting you cannot wait forever). I would suggest if it is still moving and is then forced over the dead ball line by defenders that a 5m scrum to the defenders is the most equitable outcome, you gave the attackers every chance to do something but the defenders defended it successfully.
    I was about to click 'like' until I got to this:

forced over the dead ball line by defenders that a 5m scrum to the defenders
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    it may or may not be equitable (I am not sure) but surely it's clearly wrong in Law.
    How so? The attacking team put the ball into in-goal and it was made dead there.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    How so? The attacking team put the ball into in-goal and it was made dead there.
    yes, so should be 22 metre Drop Out then !

Thread Information