Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

Default How do we feel about this decision

I already know Ian's reply!

https://youtu.be/HFffCRsTsfo
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    AARQ
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: How do we feel about this decision

Looks right to me.

As for binning a player being stretchered off, I've RC'd a player that was carried off in an ambulance before...if they deserve it, they should get it.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I already know Ian's reply!

https://youtu.be/HFffCRsTsfo

And I don't even have to look at the video to know what is is.

This is another example of the Law gone mad.

The referee makes the statement "the player is not in a realistic position to catch the ball". That is complete bollocks. Of course he's in position to catch it; he's right under the point where it is coming down, with his eyes on the ball waiting to catch it, exactly how players from kiddies to seniors have been coached to do it for over 100 years. He would have too if some idiot opponent hadn't jumped dangerously and clattered him head high and knocked him unconscious.

If the Law says that a player is committing dangerous play when he is hardly moving looking at the ball, then that runs against everything the game is about. By rights, it should have been the Blue player who copped a YC/RC for dangerous play. By jumping in such a fashion, he exposes everyone around him to the danger he creates.

I feel almost ashamed to admit to others that I was a referee when I see this kind of farcical decision.

The player on his feet is king, except when he's not.... apparently!

Also I'll pre-empt OB's reply. The player on the ground cannot expect the opponent will jump. Players jump to catch a high kicked ball less than 1 time in 5 (<20%).

ETA: If they cannot resolve these issues in a fair manner, then Its time jumping to catch the ball in generla play was banned altogether
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 12-07-16 at 22:07.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    And I don't even have to look at the video to know what is is.

This is another example of the Law gone mad.

The referee makes the statement "the player is not in a realistic position to catch the ball". That is complete bollocks. Of course he's in position to catch it; he's right under the point where it is coming down, with his eyes on the ball waiting to catch it, exactly how players from kiddies to seniors have been coached to do it for over 100 years. He would have too if some idiot opponent hadn't jumped dangerously and clattered him head high and knocked him unconscious.

If the Law says that a player is committing dangerous play when he is hardly moving looking at the ball, then that runs against everything the game is about. By rights, it should have been the Blue player who copped a YC/RC for dangerous play. By jumping in such a fashion, he exposes everyone around him to the danger he creates.

I feel almost ashamed to admit to others that I was a referee when I see this kind of farcical decision.

The player on his feet is king, except when he's not.... apparently!

Also I'll pre-empt OB's reply. The player on the ground cannot expect the opponent will jump. Players jump to catch a high kicked ball less than 1 time in 5 (<20%).

ETA: If they cannot resolve these issues in a fair manner, then Its time jumping to catch the ball in generla play was banned altogether
    You think a player is entitled to ignore what other players are doing. I don't.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

I think he was well positioned.
    The player jumped.
    For my money, he can stand his ground. Caveat Jumper.

100% agree with Ian on this.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    First, I can turn that right around and ask if you think the jumping player is allowed to ignore what others are doing.

Second, a player is entitled to not see what others are doing, especially if he is doing what he has been coached to do since he was a mini... "keep your eyes on the ball!"

IMO a player who jumps so that he gets his knees, feet, hips up at head height, ought to have a duty of care to those who are in his landing zone. The onus should be on him to ensure that he doesn't endanger anyone by jumping. He is the player who is running at speed with no ability to control what happens once he jumps so he has to be mindful of the consequences of his actions.
    I know this is not how it is currently ruled, but I think its how it should be.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League

Why does there seem to have been a rash of this sort of thing in the last couple of years?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyesbetter View Post
    Why does there seem to have been a rash of this sort of thing in the last couple of years?
    Wasn't there a memo or directive issued in the last year or so? I seem to remember something after an incident at a Wales international.

I think Ian has a point.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Looks to me like Blue was doing the ignoring - he put himself in a dangerous position

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

What the law makers are saying is that if a player in off the ground then he can't control what happens in relation to how he lands if impacted by another player. Therefore it is the other player's responsibility to have some degree of control over the situation. The problem arises when a player is in position first, under where the ball is coming down and a player then jumps and "causes" the dangerous contact
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information