Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    none
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smashing them back

The Labour leadership challenger was today in trouble for using the phrase "smashing them back on their heels". It was suggested this was a indication of violence, domestic or otherwise.

One of the defenses offered was that he was Welsh and that this was a well know rugby term.

I can't say I recall the phrase myself but if I run in through my head in the voice of Bill McLaren it does seem to sound reasonable.

Is anyone else aware of the phrase?
    "What a person thinks on his own without being stimulated by the thoughts and experiences of the other people is even in the best case rather paltry and monotonous" A. Einstein

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Smashing them back

I might have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, except for the following:

He has previous for sexist comments and also for making jokes about domestic violence

The exact wording was targeted directly at Theresa May and was "smash her back on her heels" (emphasis mine).

If you watch the video, what on earth is that hand gesture about, if not to casually suggest backhanding a person?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We live in a society where physically assaulting children aged as young as 8 and 11 for being little shits is seen as acceptable by some.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-child-8486206

Its hardly surprising that these terms are bandied around

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    We live in a society where physically assaulting children aged as young as 8 and 11 for being little shits is seen as acceptable by some.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-child-8486206

Its hardly surprising that these terms are bandied around

didds
    Sadly, we no longer live in a world where physically assaulting children as young as 8 is considered acceptable. As a result, there is nothing anyone can do when the little shits up my road ride past my house on the way to trashing the park, and chuck at my house and car the eggs they've nicked from the convenience store. I have to get my satisfaction from the knowledge that the little sods are likely to spend at least 20 of the next 30 years in prison, but if I and others like me were allowed to administer a timely clip around the ear I'd save the kids a lifetime of prison, and society £70k per year for 20 years.

Just my 2p

Ghengis
    Don't feed the pedant!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The times I've heard and read:

" Should bring back the stick. I 'ad it loads ov times and i'neva done me no 'arm!"

Well if you "'ad it loads ov times and in neva done you no 'arm", it clearly did not work did it. Corporal punishment is about revenge and punishment it ihas nothing to do with correction and adjustment.

So sorry I can't agree all your "timely clip around the ear" does is satisfy your lust for revenge.

If you want revenge fine. I understand your desire. However, please stop kidding yourself this is a way to "correction".
    Last edited by Pegleg; 28-07-16 at 09:07.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not too sure why this is in a rugby forum. Apart from his involvement in the laughable "Valleys Rugby" idea. A idea which shows his total lack of economics. This is politics and best put in such a forum.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think this is just someone trying to be offended, TBH.

No, it's not a phrase I hear away from the rugby ground (or pub, when watching rugby), but encouraging violence? Come on!

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Corporal punishment is about revenge and punishment it ihas nothing to do with correction and adjustment.
    I can't accept that. It is far too black and white.

For most sensible people corporal punishment is intended as a deterrent. How effective that is depends on both people involved. However there are usually better ways of dealing with a problem.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    none
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Not too sure why this is in a rugby forum. Apart from his involvement in the laughable "Valleys Rugby" idea. A idea which shows his total lack of economics. This is politics and best put in such a forum.
    As stated, it was suggested that this was a well known rugby phrase. I'm not clear why you think a politics forum is a better place than a rugby forum to ask about rugby phrases.
    "What a person thinks on his own without being stimulated by the thoughts and experiences of the other people is even in the best case rather paltry and monotonous" A. Einstein

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    none
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyesbetter View Post
    The exact wording was targeted directly at Theresa May and was "smash her back on her heels" (emphasis mine).
    ?
    I intentionally took the gender out of it so it didn't descend into a discussion of sexism, misogyny and domestic violence. I was genuinely asking if anyone had heard the phrase in a rugby context.

Clearly you are all above such considerations.

Thread Information