Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RFU Under 14 & Under 15 NRoP: Line out

See attached for the U14 and U15 line out FAQ.

Attachment 3464

Thanks,

Antony

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyGoodman View Post
    See attached for the U14 and U15 line out FAQ.

Attachment 3464

Thanks,

Antony
    A brilliant link, thank you very much.

However ....

When can the non-throwing team contest possession?
    The contest for possession can start once the player who catches the ball has safely returned to the ground. The non-throwing team cannot contest possession whilst the ball is in the air.

Can a maul be formed from the lineout?
    Yes, but the player must have been returned safely to the ground before the opposition can contest the ball.

When the ball becomes playable / contestable again?
    No different from previous laws. The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout.

This last section (reflecting 15f of RFU Regulation 15 Appendix 8: "The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout or the ball goes beyond the 15m or into the 5m channel.") contradicts all the other points. I shall not apply it to this situation due to the weight of adverse evidence!
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    This last section (reflecting 15f of RFU Regulation 15 Appendix 8: "The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout or the ball goes beyond the 15m or into the 5m channel.") contradicts all the other points. I shall not apply it to this situation due to the weight of adverse evidence!
    I think you have to apply it. Otherwise you are going to have to re-evaluate many other laws. So maul forms once the catcher lands, and it is immediately pulled down. Where's the PK? Most will expect it to be on the 15m line, but you've decided that the lineout was over, so it would be where the offence took place. Ditto other ruck or maul offences.

The drafting problem is not the duration of the lineout; it is the asinine statement that the lineout is uncontested - when it clearly isn't. The catch is uncontested. Sooner or later the RFU will have to confirm that the contest at the lineout is very much alive for every other aspect other than the catch.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

undoubtedly it will come out in the wash but im wondering what happens if the throw is short or over the catcher and lands on the floor and stays there. can only the throwing team pick it up? etc

I am not expecting anyone here to have an answer

didds
    Last edited by didds; 22-09-16 at 17:09.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Did you read the FAQ

What happens if the ball hits the floor?
    The lineout is over. Assuming there has been no foul play and that the ball is thrown straight, possession may be contested if the ball hits the ground.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    Did you read the FAQ

What happens if the ball hits the floor?
    The lineout is over. Assuming there has been no foul play and that the ball is thrown straight, possession may be contested if the ball hits the ground.
    Indeed. But contrast that with the statement (in the same guidance):

The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout. This includes the following:
     When the ball is thrown, knocked or kicked out of the lineout, the lineout ends.
     When the ball or a player carrying the ball moves into the area between the 5-metre line and the touchline, the lineout ends.
     When a lineout player hands the ball to a player who is peeling off, the lineout ends.
     When the ball is thrown beyond the 15-metre line, or when a player takes or puts it beyond that line, the lineout ends.
     When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout ends.

They somehow forgot to mention that the lineout is over when the ball hits the floor. One hesitates to suggest they don't know what they are doing, but ... Oh alright then, hesitation over. They don't know what they're doing.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. The SRU Law Variations are very different. Line outs are not competed at U12 and below. U13 competed but no lifting. U14 and above are full U19 laws in the line out. I have not encountered any problems with competing line outs or lifting at these age groups. I don't understand the reasons for these restrictions.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Interesting. The SRU Law Variations are very different. Line outs are not competed at U12 and below. U13 competed but no lifting. U14 and above are full U19 laws in the line out. I have not encountered any problems with competing line outs or lifting at these age groups. I don't understand the reasons for these restrictions.
    the reason each union makes it own regulations is .... because they are allowed to.

same reason why every merit table organiser has different comp regs from all the others!

Thread Information