Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

      
  1. #11
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    403

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    A goal has to be clear and obvious, right?

    If it goes straight over the top of the post, I'll struggle to call that C & O.

    For the OP, might be that the ref had a better view (or at least a different one) and thought it was clearly within the posts.

  2. #12

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,643
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1423

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    if the AR says no and the ref says yes, the AR has a credibility problem
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  3. #13

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,958
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    1002

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    back in the very early 90s I was watching a (rugby) Bundesliga match, at Eintracht Frankfurt (the rugby pitch was behind the football stadium!).

    In the dieing seconds of the game a conversion sailed just wide and the (American) touch judge waved his flag side to side at knee level to indicate a miss. (yes, we know that his real reaction should have been nothing but.... it certainly wasn't a flag UP for over).

    the (German) referee awarded the conversion, and the game winning points, on the basis that the TJ had moved his flag which meant the kick was over. It clearly wasn't from 60m away where we were standing.

    Who had the credibility problem here?

    Didds

    PS this was incidentally the same ref in the same game that pinged a player at kick off for starting just outside the touchline and as the ball was kicked running towards the landing point - he was pinged for entering the field of play without the referee's permission.
    Last edited by didds; 26-09-16 at 11:09.

  4. #14

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,204
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    445

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeagro View Post
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure on this one and just encountered it this weekend while ARing. I kept the flag down but the official ruled in favor otherwise. If anyone finds any documentation or citation to support a ruling on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Where were you positioned in relation to the post the ball "went over"?
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

  5. #15
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    403

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    back in the very early 90s I was watching a (rugby) Bundesliga match, at Eintracht Frankfurt (the rugby pitch was behind the football stadium!).

    In the dieing seconds of the game a conversion sailed just wide and the (American) touch judge waved his flag side to side at knee level to indicate a miss. (yes, we know that his real reaction should have been nothing but.... it certainly wasn't a flag UP for over).

    the (German) referee awarded the conversion, and the game winning points, on the basis that the TJ had moved his flag which meant the kick was over. It clearly wasn't from 60m away where we were standing.

    Who had the credibility problem here?

    Didds

    PS this was incidentally the same ref in the same game that pinged a player at kick off for starting just outside the touchline and as the ball was kicked running towards the landing point - he was pinged for entering the field of play without the referee's permission.
    And this is why we now have advisers.

  6. #16

    Referees in England
    winchesterref's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    14 Dec 09
    Posts
    2,010
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    178

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    if the AR says no and the ref says yes, the AR has a credibility problem
    I had it the other way once.

  7. #17

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,958
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    1002

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    And this is why we now have advisers.
    undoutedbly.

    But the question remains... who had the credibility problem here?

    didds

  8. #18
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    403

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    undoutedbly.

    But the question remains... who had the credibility problem here?

    didds
    I thought that was rhetorical! I also thought it wasn't the touch judge!

  9. #19

    Referees in America


    Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    06 Mar 12
    Posts
    98
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    what did the other AR do?
    Sorry, I misspoke earlier (it was late when I replied before.) Albeit being a certified referee, I technically was only playing the role of TJ for this game because it didn't warrant ARs and I didn't officially sign up to be one ahead of time. Therefore the other person was also a TJ and actually wasn't paying that close attention because they forgot to line up to judge this conversion. So in this instance the judgement was between the official and myself. Again since I was technically only a TJ for this game I fully understand the official making his own judgement call despite my decision. I didn't even question him about it after the game.

    Though that does lead me to a separate question of what would be proper protocol of an AR to do in the same situation? Discuss with the official after the match?...Have a quick chat with him right at the moment?

    Btw, the team who took the conversion won the game by 2 points, just to make things a little more interesting.
    Last edited by jdeagro; 26-09-16 at 22:09. Reason: Accidental duplicated post content

  10. #20

    Referees in America


    Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    06 Mar 12
    Posts
    98
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Where were you positioned in relation to the post the ball "went over"?
    The ball sailed directly over the left post from my perspective. I was standing behind the left post, about two feet to the right of it facing inward the field of play and I was back on the dead ball line. (The kick came from a far right side of the field angle, about 10 meters from the touch line, from the kickers perspective.)
    Last edited by jdeagro; 26-09-16 at 23:09.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •