Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is not straight in the line out especially when it's windy?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default What is not straight in the line out especially when it's windy?

19.6 How the throw-in is taken
    The player taking the throw-in must stand at the correct place. The player must not step into the field of play when the ball is thrown. The ball must be thrown straight, so that it travels at least 5 metres along the line of touch before it first touches the ground or touches or is touched by a player.

I'm not talking about TV rugby which always appears to be thrown straight to the catcher.
    Down in the weeds, Always a challenge. I've always took the view that if it it is thrown straight and gets over the 5m I treat it as you would a pass that the wind caught and it's play on.
    When it's really blowing there is no real advantage to any team.
    Just wondering what you guys think?
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester & District / RFU
    Grade
    L6 / Nat Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What is not straight in the line out especially when it's windy?

If it's v windy I tell them that what matters to me is whether it is straight at the point the contest is. So if they want to throw to the tail it can start not straight as long as when it comes down to a point where there can be a contest it is straight at that point. Never had a problem with that. Also I tend to make the gap bigger.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Between inside shoulders. If it's windy get a bigger gap and don't be a pedant. If there is a fair contest let's get the ball back in play.
    Saw a local ref blow not straight for just about every LO on a very windy day a few seasons ago. No management like getting a bigger gap and very strict on ball being inside line of shoulders. Problems when jumpers jumping inwards slightly so now inside shoulder virtually on LoT. Should have considered where shoulders were during set up. Wanted to jump the fence and offer some friendly advice
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As others have said - as long as it's a contest it's straight. If the hookers are struggling, they need to throw it harder or shorter. Repeatedly throwing long in a gale was the only time I've considered giving a FK for repeated not straights - ended up having a quiet word with the hooker along the lines of "repeatedly throwing not straight is a FK offence - FFS throw to the front!".

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If it is between the inside shoulders - fine.

If it is straight down the line/angled into jumper's midriff on a clearly non-contested ball (i.e. no jump/lift from opposition at any position) I might also let that go (also depends how far across the gap the jumper has leapt, i.e. not at all/all the way)

Down the line of outside shoulder/outside the line out - got to blow.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester & District / RFU
    Grade
    L6 / Nat Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterref View Post
    Down the line of outside shoulder/outside the line out - got to blow.
    Not necessisarily for me....

You can throw it beyond the outside shoulder as long as when the ball comes down to the point of contest it is inside the outside shoulder.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As long as the ball goes 5m along LoT I'm fine with it, and I've had no complaints. I used to overthink it and be more concerned with where the ball becomes playable, but I find using the Law definition simplifies things. If it's really blowy then I'll use management as well - widen the gap, encourage speedy and short throws.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Accylad View Post
    You can throw it beyond the outside shoulder as long as when the ball comes down to the point of contest it is inside the outside shoulder.
    I don't see how you can have sensibly contested lineouts otherwise if a significant wind is blowing. There are circumstances when it is physically impossible to throw in a straight line.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Being a little devil, what offence has been committed if the thrower has thrown it straight for at least 5M and then a big gust of wind takes it off centre. You can't penalise the thrower because he has complied with the laws! Off the top of my head I am sure that there are circumstances when an 'Act of God' has influenced outcomes and doesn't get penalised.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

shrug -- if there is a wind blowing from Red to Blue , then blue have a natural advantage in every line out... and red have a natural advantage in all other parts of the game.

until half time.. !

so I'd say throw in have to be credible, but don't worry too much about it.

Thread Information