Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Not straight. Again. And again.

Mots pf this season, I've been doing D1 College, and enjoyed it a lot.

I had a D3 Men's game today, just to get a change.

I've done D3 before, so I thought there would be few surprises.

Except...

First red L/O? Not straight.
    Second red L/O? Not straight.

Now my heart is starting to sink. I already set a big tunnel, and give the hookers a fair degree of latitude, so if I say not straight, it's really not straight.

Have a quiet word with hooker. "Mate, you're 0 for 2"

Third red L/O? Not straight.

"Next one's a FK. This is getting silly"

You can guess what happens on the 4th.
    Fifth was plausible, so I let him have it.
    Sixth? Yup. So, now it's a PK and word with the captain. "Look, I'm about of options here, and I've been generous...Maybe you want to swap out throwers?"
    "Sorry sir, he's our only thrower"
    [sotto voce 'shit'] "Well, OK. That's your problem. I'm telling you what's about to happen."

Reader, I yellow carded him. First time in 23 years of refereeing. Replacement thrower did just fine.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not straight. Again. And again.

presumably he was simply rubbish at throwing - as nobody would deliberately do it after warnings surely.

I'm not personally convinced though that somebody shoud end up being YCd because of sheer incompetence?

And as for giving a FK for repeated N/S ... what's the point? a FK is worse than useless for about 70m of the field for the team awarded one.

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think you can justify a YC for someone not throwing-in straight. They are not breaking down the play of their opponent, they are essentially giving up the ball when they have the advantage of the throw. Penalty sufficient every time.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by leaguerefaus View Post
    I don't think you can justify a YC for someone not throwing-in straight. They are not breaking down the play of their opponent, they are essentially giving up the ball when they have the advantage of the throw. Penalty sufficient every time.
    Yep. three times not straight, then escalate to FK and then escalate to PK from then on.

I know its technically repeat/persistent infringements but its not as if what he is doing is disadvantaging the opposition. With a PK at every NS, there is no upside for his team. All he is doing is continually giving up possession and field position. That's punishment enough surely?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But the team have learnt that they do have another, more competent, thrower. So long term win!
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

19.7 Incorrect throw in

(a) If the throw-in at a lineout is incorrect, the opposing team has the choice of throwing in at a
    lineout or a scrum on the 15-metre line. If they choose the throw-in to the lineout and it is
    again incorrect, a scrum is formed. The team that took the first throw-in throws in the ball.

(c) A player must not intentionally or repeatedly throw the ball in not straight.
    Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line
    How the throw-in takes place

I agree with didds, the choice of line-out or scrum is much more of an advantage than a FK.

Escalating to PK is an available option but YC is harsh as the PK is already for repeat offence.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Yep. three times not straight, then escalate to FK and then escalate to PK from then on.

I know its technically repeat/persistent infringements but its not as if what he is doing is disadvantaging the opposition. With a PK at every NS, there is no upside for his team. All he is doing is continually giving up possession and field position. That's punishment enough surely?
    And what if you escalate to PK's and during the next 4 or 5 minutes he throws 3 more that you award 3 more quick PKs for? See where I'm going?
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

..... and the team receiving the PKs says "Thank you, Sir". This is 'throwing in crook', not a capitol offence in and of itself.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    ..... and the team receiving the PKs says "Thank you, Sir". This is 'throwing in crook', not a capitol offence in and of itself.
    Sounds like he only wants to throw to 4 or 6. Why doesn't his captain suggest he try the front or 2 just for something different?
    How many PKs would you allow for the continual miss throws?
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As many as go awry. Giving up the throw at a LO and getting hit with a PK in 15m is a smack up the side of the head.

What if they change throwers and it's still not straight? What if he only cocks it up every other throw?

As said before, the LO/scrum option is already a nice reward for a poor throw so chucking in a penalty for repeating is a bonus. No need for a card.

Thread Information