Thread: Not straight. Again. And again.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not straight. Again. And again.

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    Wow - all these people saying no YC.

Lets look at this. Ref has escalated. Ref has given the captain an opportunity to correct. Captain didn't try anything to correct it.

Ref sent player to bin.

Suddenly the problem goes away.

Seems to me like the card solved the problem, after the referee tried to manage it away. .
    In the OP the team were either on some sort of bizarre death wish mission to give the ball away, or genuinely didn't think they had an alternative. As it turned out they did.

but what if they hadn't and post YC the next victim stood forward and mis threw. Is that a YC for him too?

because if the clock resets then the solution for any team is to always rotate the thrower (when nobody can throw!) so nobody ever gets escalated - or if they do its very late in the game after 15X throws have been done. Possibly 18X depending on use of bench!

I can't explain why the skipper didn't rotate him. I can't explain either why any team would deliberately expose themselves in this manner.

But it still seems - to me - that you are now carding someone because he is purely incompetent (to an Nth degree as well it seems)

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    Seems like a perfect use of a card to me - problem seen, attempt to solve problem, problem not solved by management (via players and captain), issue card, problem solved.
    This is soemwhat chopperesque so apolgies but I am intrigued now...

If threatened with a YC "next time", at the next lineout that player refuses to throw in as they don;t want to be YCd, and nobody else from the throwing side steps up - because they don;t want to be YCd either.

what do you do now - abandon the game? PK for time wasting - and what do you do next time when this happens? card the bloke that is refusing to expose himself through his incompetence? what about the other 14 that could throw in biut are also refusing? card them too?

I am guessing here that D1 is a higher level than D3, so we are dealing with guys that play for fun once a week at most, not hard bitten semi=pros looking to gain an edge to get a fully pro contract etc

didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    But it still seems - to me - that you are now carding someone because he is purely incompetent (to an Nth degree as well it seems)

didds
    Since all the throws were going to his own team, I find it difficult to interpret that as incompetence.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I did warn the captain and the replacement thrower that this was a cumulative thing, so he was going to be on a bit of a tightrope as well. No issues at all.

As I said, first time in 20+ years of doing this
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    This is soemwhat chopperesque so apolgies but I am intrigued now...

If threatened with a YC "next time", at the next lineout that player refuses to throw in as they don;t want to be YCd, and nobody else from the throwing side steps up - because they don;t want to be YCd either.

what do you do now - abandon the game? PK for time wasting - and what do you do next time when this happens? card the bloke that is refusing to expose himself through his incompetence? what about the other 14 that could throw in biut are also refusing? card them too?

I am guessing here that D1 is a higher level than D3, so we are dealing with guys that play for fun once a week at most, not hard bitten semi=pros looking to gain an edge to get a fully pro contract etc

didds
    Aussie Rules: ref stands with his back to the lineout and throws the ball over his head, turning round quickly to see what happens.

(There is a sort of international precedent for this. A referee got so fed up with the scrumhalfs messing up the feed that at one scrum he did the job himself.)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

(removed - strange double post!)
    Last edited by didds; 31-10-16 at 13:10.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Since all the throws were going to his own team, I find it difficult to interpret that as incompetence.
    I have sympathies with that view as well OB... but for a constant stream of deliberately not straights with the escalation of penalties along the way, to continue makes absolutely no sense. Particularly with the captain and tea,m mates aiding and abetting that policy by not replacing him. Something really isn'tt adding up here ... but I just cannot see that this was consistently deliberate with nobody from his own side changing anything. why would it have been deliberate? A hope that the ref would just give up calling the not straights ? ??

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

.... and now a word from the opponents: "Please, Sir, don't card him. We're really thriving on the PKs."

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

bang on chrisr!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I'm loathe to YC someone for incompetence. I'm not too comfortable with giving a penalty for incompetence, though it is useful as a threat in these cases.

The only time I've come close to penalising a hooker for repeated not straights was when he kept trying to throw to the back and just wasn't accurate enough - I ended up speaking to him and the captain saying "FFS throw to the front".

Thread Information