Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You can't have two pods

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Two bites at the cherry and a confused opposition?
    two bites? That can only be because they don;t trust thye thrower ? Wouldn;t training time be bettyer spent getting him throwing better? LOL.

Confuse the opposition? Well... most lineout defenses are one pod based for obvious reasons, so its debatable I suspect that it is meaningful. Particularly at grass roots level. And when the ball is won, you've now reduced your on the ground support. You are prone to be driven back by a concentrated defense if you hold it in, so you are almost forced to go OTT. Then you have slow support to the backs as both pods have to come down safely before heading off.

Sounds daft to me.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Having looked at the vdieo (I didn;t see the link before) I'm still not convinced. the throw is clearly to the back (its not an overthrow). Both defensive pods go up (interesting). Neither of them got anywhere near the ball so the front pod isn't even needed. and TBH if the oppo tactics here are "always" to lift two pods why wouldn't you set a drive (by not putting your front pod up here!) to catch the defense weakened with fewer players to halt the initial drive? Even if only to keep them honest later etc?

didds

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I am glad it wasn't just me that thought this was wrong.
    Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts.

This is in the public video section so I don't think you have to log in to see it. See the comments under the video.

http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?C...c78665m3292014

I am dismayed that this is the interpretation of the law by the mentioned society:
    "A player can only support another player who is jumping for the ball, Law 19.10 (d). That means two pods cannot be going for the ball. Illegal play here by the supporters at 2 as they cannot be going for the ball. FK to white."

The law so obviously is meant to address how the lifting players must support the jumper and in NO way says there can only be one jumper with lifters.

Imagine this the throw is meant to go to the front and the jumper is supported by the lifters in his pod, however the ball is badly overthrown and goes to the back pod. The defending team jumper in the back of the lineout jumps and is supported by his lifters. Under this interpretation the attacking team rear jumper can not legally jump and be supported by his lifters but the defending team can. How ridiculous is that?

Furthermore if this was strictly enforced we would essentially be giving away the lineout's intended location to the defending team because they would have a split second to look at which jumper is supported and react with certainty that the ball was intended to go there.

As much as we want the game to be fair and contestable there is still an element of trickery and deception involved. By being so pedantic and obviously misreading what this law intends we are stifling creativity.

I would equate this to prohibiting the dummy runner or the cut out pass as it intends to fool the opposition.

It is mind boggling that a ref society could so badly misinterpret this particular law and someone should bring this up at the next meeting.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to throw a curved ball, but am I right in thinking that a 'dummy' jump is not allowed? If so then a second pod must be wrong, as is no chance of them getting the ball.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Sorry to throw a curved ball, but am I right in thinking that a 'dummy' jump is not allowed? If so then a second pod must be wrong, as is no chance of them getting the ball.
    No, nothing to prevent dummy jumps - just dummy throws and jumping before the ball is thrown. Dummy jumps (where the feet don't actually leave the ground) are par for the course.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    No, nothing to prevent dummy jumps - just dummy throws and jumping before the ball is thrown. Dummy jumps (where the feet don't actually leave the ground) are par for the course.
    I think that oldman was implying that the dummy jump is where the player's feet do, in fact, leave the ground. This is usual employed by the side throwing in to line in an attempt to get the defence to commit an early jump and thereby buy a Free Kick.

Whilst the dummy is not - in itself - an illegal ploy it is questionable sportsmanship and needs to be managed
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    The only illegal deceptions I can think of in rugby are those that could be done for the purpose of drawing the opposition into an infringement.

16.4 (f) Dummying the ball out - trying to draw opposition backs offside.

17.3 (b) Dummying the ball out - trying to draw opposition backs offside.

19.7 (b) Dummy throw-in - trying to draw the opposition into jump before the ball leaves the thrower's hands.

20.6 (e) Dummy throw-in - trying to draw the opposition into striking or pushing early.

20.9 (h) Dummying the ball out - trying to draw the opposition offside or causing opposition loose forwards to detach early.

PhilE, someone from RFU Refereeing bosses need to inform this referee society that they are wrong.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    PhilE, someone from RFU Refereeing bosses need to inform this referee society that they are wrong.
    I'm tempted to email them myself and explain how wrong they have it. But that may be pushing it.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone here got a direct line to Spreaders?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    I think that oldman was implying that the dummy jump is where the player's feet do, in fact, leave the ground. This is usual employed by the side throwing in to line in an attempt to get the defence to commit an early jump and thereby buy a Free Kick.

Whilst the dummy is not - in itself - an illegal ploy it is questionable sportsmanship and needs to be managed
    Just to be clear - feet leaving the ground before the ball leaves the hand is illegal - and manage by reminding at the pmb, and even at the first LO...

Thread Information