Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default U14 uncontested lineout

Ok, so u14 have uncontested line outs, meaning the opposition cannot compete, but the hooker of the throwing team throws the ball in not straight. Do you penalise as the other team cannot go for it anyway?

i didn't and allowed them to play on, as it had no bearing on the flow of the play or contest for the ball, as there could not legal be one. My only thought about why I should ping it was to teach them that they should be throwing it straight ready for when it is contested.

thoughts?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U14 uncontested lineout

I think you're right not to ping it, but you're also right that they need to learn to throw straight. How about a do-over the first time they get it wrong? Then maybe a penalty.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If it i not interfering with the oppositions options let play happen.
    You might mention it to the coach at the end.
    After all it is only November - they have until September to learn to throw.

With the girls we do not have this problem.
    They go from U13 free pass to the combined U14/U15 with contested line outs, no lifting.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    Ok, so u14 have uncontested line outs, meaning the opposition cannot compete, but the hooker of the throwing team throws the ball in not straight. Do you penalise as the other team cannot go for it anyway?

i didn't and allowed them to play on, as it had no bearing on the flow of the play or contest for the ball, as there could not legal be one. My only thought about why I should ping it was to teach them that they should be throwing it straight ready for when it is contested.

thoughts?
    ping them .kindly ;-)

maybe with a couple of "let offs" and re-throws at this age group. But certainly not play on.

This is developmental stage rugby./ This is about developing skills for the NEXT phase of the game when they do have contested lineouts. The point is that they need to get this bit right for another time. Ignoring shonky throwing when "it doesn't matter" only means in a year's time they have to THEN get it right and it kills the entire point of THIS year's development opportunities.

And I will add that if any coaches get "clever" over it then they are missing the ENTIRE point of coaching these age group levels.

Didds
    RFU Coach Developer.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

5 metres is a long way when you're 13. Maybe the young fella could take the throw a metre or 2 into FoP?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i have sympathy with Dickie E's point here. However, having coached many squads over the years at this age group I do find that in the whole they can throw 7m reasonably straight, and the non contested element takes out the extra pressure. They do struggle to throw it a further 2 or 3m to the middle ... and "never" manage back ball perhaps unsurprisingly. The whole non contest thing is to remove the pressure of not losing the throw, so whilst a stream of front ball isn't wonderful it should hopefully promote a decent straight enough throw, timed with a jumper/catcher and the chance for the game to develop from there.

If a thrower really is struggling to get a throw six to seven metres then maybe some other strategy is needed I would grant... but hopefully its not that dire overall.

I will add that in many years etc players at these age groups clearly never dop homework ie practice at home/away from the club), and coaches cannot unfortunately spend sections of every session working on throwers' skills, so there is a bit of a self perpetuating scenario here for throwers that struggle.

But I will still stand by my assertion that using immateriality/doesn't matter and playing on regardless is not helping these guys develop.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Didds, I agree with your statement about this being there to develop them ready for next season. I'm reffing them again this Saturday so will give then a few chances to get it straight before any sanction, different team this week so their hooker may be an ace thrower

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

England Rugby issued this guidance for U14 and U15 Lineouts.

Attachment 3481

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks,

Antony

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyGoodman View Post
    England Rugby issued this guidance for U14 and U15 Lineouts.

Attachment 3481

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks,

Antony
    thats great. Where did you find that please, very useful

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

thats great. Where did you find that please, very useful
    As far as I know it was sent to all clubs (i know it was sent to mine), I had been asking England Rugby a load of lineout questions and they emailed it to me directly, I assume I wasn't the only one!

Thanks,

Antony

Thread Information