Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TJ error

Quote Originally Posted by Nigib View Post
    Agree. You can check with the TJ if you think there's something amiss, or overrule if you are sure of what you've seen, but if you consult the TJ when a player objects you risk losing authority.
    touch can be very complicated (all those different scenarios of players jumping from one side of the line to the other cathching and knocking balls that have / haven't crossed the plane of touch)

In one of those scenarios if the player is saying 'I don't think the TJ applied the Law correctly' I don't see a problem of talking to the TJ about what he saw, and then make the ruling appropriately. I don't think the TJ would feel at all undermined.

If a player is just questioning a TJ's view of the facts : eg TJ thought foot touched the line, player thought it didn't, then I wouldn't allow a player to question that - just go with TJ.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In one of those scenarios if the player is saying 'I don't think the TJ applied the Law correctly' I don't see a problem of talking to the TJ about what he saw, and then make the ruling appropriately. I don't think the TJ would feel at all undermined.

If a player is just questioning a TJ's view of the facts : eg TJ thought foot touched the line, player thought it didn't, then I wouldn't allow a player to question that - just go with TJ.
    This ^^^^^

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have on occasion asked a TJ if the ball bounced directly in touch - they may not have been aware that it was kicked from outside the 22.

Thread Information