Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Increasing lack of respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigib View Post
    I'm intrigued - what prompted you to stop going through the tunnel?
    I don't bother either, unless I'm invited by either side, why do I want teams to be forced to stand and clap me?
    I'll shake hands with whoever offers, but I won't go looking for it.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Ditto to this. Paul23, how did you know they wouldn't shake hands? Did they leave you hanging?
    Whilst I don't walk through the tunnel, I remain in the general vicinity of where players are shaking hands, walking towards teams/players if needed to make sure they know I am aroUnd. It is definitely a conscious decision by some teams, made more obvious as it's always the losing team that 'cannot' find me.

somebody asked why not walk through the tunnel. I was advised not to as it is the perfect opportunity for a sly dig at you, physical or verbal, and you will never pinpoint who it was.
    Last edited by Paule23; 06-12-16 at 18:12.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    somebody asked why not walk through the tunnel. I was advised not to as it is the perfect opportunity for a sly dig at you, physical or verbal, and you will never pinpoint who it was.
    That was me. It's never occurred to me that refs don't - on occasion when I'm a bit tardy (checking score, talking to someone) I've been encouraged to go through. I've never encountered any issue of 'digs', verbal or physical, other than a stony silence - the 'offended' team will applaud in any event as it's for the other team. I guess I've felt it's an authority thing - I've taken responsibility for my actions during the game (ie made decisions, right or wrong, accepted or not), so why should I be worried/concerned about what might happen in the tunnel. I feel I'd lose authority/respect if I didn't go through, particularly if there'd been something contentious (although there have been much more visible and broadcast precedents for 'ducking out').

I'm interested in what others do - is there a 'mandate' of not going through the tunnel in different areas?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I was advised not to walk through the tunnel, in a effort to monitor the players in case of any shenanigans between players. I will seek out the captains and coaches after to shake hands. This was the same message I received from advisors and trainers for wrestling, and field hockey officiating as well.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I was advised not to walk through the tunnel, in a effort to monitor the players in case of any shenanigans between players. I will seek out the captains and coaches after to shake hands. This was the same message I received from advisors and trainers for wrestling, and field hockey officiating as well.
    Have you ever observed any shenanigans?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I always considered the tunnel as a players thing. Didn't do it as a ref and don't do it as a coach. As a ref I'd seek out the coaches and captains and as a coach I seek out the ref.

I agree with didds that coach histrionics on the sidelines is not just uncalled for but it poor use of their time. You can't be an analytical observer if you're going postal over some trivial issue of the moment.

It's easy to dismiss the rants from the sidelines but don't dismiss that coaches have waaaaay more invested in that game than you do. And they may have much more at stake, too. And he may have to listen to those snarky ****s that ran a commentary on your reffing talents do likewise on his coaching skills. Every week!

This is no excuse for boorish behavior but cut the guy a little slack.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Most referees I assess go through the tunnel of players after the game. I have never seen it cause any problems, and I have never discussed it with any referees.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigib View Post
    ... I'm interested in what others do - is there a 'mandate' of not going through the tunnel in different areas?
    I don't go through the tunnel - unless invited. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I tend to go to the front of the line, clap through the losing side (shaking hands with players who hold out their hand) then walk around the back (ie not through the tunnel) and go the front of the next line and clap through the winning side. Why? Because I'm the quiet shy type and "it's not about me".

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, never gone through the tunnel, and cant think of any refs I've ever seen do it. Too busy talking to AR's, signing match cards, getting ready for next game etc etc

Also, the tunnel normally sets up to cheer the next team on. So other than after first grade you would probably get trampled

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Interesting, never gone through the tunnel, and cant think of any refs I've ever seen do it. Too busy talking to AR's, signing match cards, getting ready for next game etc etc

Also, the tunnel normally sets up to cheer the next team on. So other than after first grade you would probably get trampled
    Same. Must be a aussie non inclusive thing. To me the tunnel is a players thing. I'm grateful just if I get a 'thanks' and a handshake from anyone. Very spasmodic thing down these parts. (Or maybe it's my shjt reffing?). Those are the ones that have been bought up well.

I insist my 12yo son always goes to the ref with a smile and thanks them no matter what he thought of their performance. He always does.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information