Thread: Increasing lack of respect?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Increasing lack of respect?

Always stand at the head of the tunnel which is always in my experience set up by the home team win lose or draw.
    Clap the visitors through then walk through myself before clapping the home team through.
    Coaches are never involved.
    It had always been a tradition and long may it continue.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I was advised not to walk through the tunnel, in a effort to monitor the players in case of any shenanigans between players. I will seek out the captains and coaches after to shake hands. This was the same message I received from advisors and trainers for wrestling, and field hockey officiating as well.
    When I first started I felt a bit diffident about going through the tunnel, and when I got watched I was told I definitely SHOULD go through.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I tend to see these traditions (including teams lining up on halfway for handshake pre-kick off) more so at school games. If there is a tunnel at school game I will always participate as I see myself as an adult role model for these youngsters.

Adult games? Sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't. If the tone at the end of the game is positive, I'll participate (and ask the ARs/TJs to join me). I'll then sign paperwork, etc afterwards.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It is "expected" around here. So, I will always participate as "it's not about me". I guess you go with the "traditions" of your area. That way it remains about the game and not the referee.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ime, in England there is always a tunnel, without exception..
    But I have never seen teams line up to shake hands before a game!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Ime, in England there is always a tunnel, without exception..
    But I have never seen teams line up to shake hands before a game!
    Pre game handshake is the usual thing here in schools and juniors. Occasional in seniors.

Generally both teams will run out in a line behind their captain, if they are lucky each through a separate tunnel of their club/school mates from the previous game, and form up in the centre either just shaking hands with the opponent opposite them or walking down the whole line.

In juniors the toss is usually done there in the middle, as is the traditional checking of both teams footballs (as each captain ALWAYS brings one out), and the equally traditional punting of one ball off - usually by the referee (usually badly, followed by the "that's why I referee" quip).

Tunnels never existed when I was a kid, but are more usual now. Becoming even more so now that the unions want both teams to set up on the same side of the field in technical areas. Previously it was more like American football - the opposite teams coaches and reserves were on opposite sides of the field so just individually headed to their own sides at the end of the game

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Interesting, never gone through the tunnel, and cant think of any refs I've ever seen do it. Too busy talking to AR's, signing match cards, getting ready for next game etc etc

Also, the tunnel normally sets up to cheer the next team on. So other than after first grade you would probably get trampled
    I've put "Too busy" in bold, my emphasis. The tunnel takes about 5 seconds. If you are too busy to spend 5 seconds, or even a whole minute, then you may not be doing a Joubert, but FFS, it literally only takes 5 seconds to walk through the tunnel.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Excluding ladies' matches where they aren't very ladylike in the tunnel, that is?

I can think of other good excuses for not going through the tunnel - even as an appointed AR it feels odd to me - but lack of time doesn't make any sense.

But this thread is about "increasing lack of respect". I like to show my respect to the players by being part of their after-game rituals, and to be honest it has never occurred to me that something as simple as walking through the tunnel too is something one would not want to do.

One lives and learns, though!

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rushforth View Post

What's the worst thing that can happen? Excluding ladies' matches where they aren't very ladylike in the tunnel, that is?

!
    I'll need an example to completely digest this

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rushforth View Post
    I've put "Too busy" in bold, my emphasis. The tunnel takes about 5 seconds. If you are too busy to spend 5 seconds, or even a whole minute, then you may not be doing a Joubert, but FFS, it literally only takes 5 seconds to walk through the tunnel.
    You are assuming as referee I am actually leaving the field. In most cases I stay out there to either referee or run touch in the next game.

Here is the usual end of game ritual:

1) blow fulltime
    2) as players are all shaking hands I find the captains and shakes theirs, as well as any other players who offer
    3) both AR's come to me and I shake their hands and thank them
    4) team managers come out to me with their clipboards. I shake their hands and sign the match sheets, noting any cards. The coaches also usually come out onto the field to shake hands with me and each other

By then both teams have done any tunnels that they may want to do, and I (or the fellow I am running touch for) am blowing the whistle to get the players for the next game out onto the field

Thread Information