Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Increasing lack of respect?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    You are assuming as referee I am actually leaving the field. In most cases I stay out there to either referee or run touch in the next game.

Here is the usual end of game ritual:

1) blow fulltime
    2) as players are all shaking hands I find the captains and shakes theirs, as well as any other players who offer
    3) chase after ARs/TJs so that I can salvage my flags
    4) team managers come out to me with their clipboards. Resolve dispute about score discrepancy. Ask manager for name and ID number of red carded player (turns out this was his first, and last, game so no details available).

By then both teams have done any tunnels that they may want to do, and I (or the fellow I am running touch for) am blowing the whistle to get the players for the next game out onto the field. I need to find & put on comms gear (still in ref's change room) and listen to pre-match instructions from next ref
    plus mine in red
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting how different customs are from place to place...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    It had always been a tradition and long may it continue.
    well, its a tradition in England at least.

TC's description is the tradition in Aus (well, Sydney anyway from my own experience) where 4 grades play throughout the afternoon, one after the other on the same pitch.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

On the whole, I don't like going through the tunnel as a referee. The game is about the players, not the referee, and that includes the post-game, too.

I also see it as a good barometer of your performance - if you're outside the tunnel you (occasionally) get players coming up to and saying 'good game', but if you've gone through the tunnel almost everyone does.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    On the whole, I don't like going through the tunnel as a referee. The game is about the players, not the referee, and that includes the post-game, too.

I also see it as a good barometer of your performance - if you're outside the tunnel you (occasionally) get players coming up to and saying 'good game', but if you've gone through the tunnel almost everyone does.
    I dunno, perhaps if you are outside they perceive you to be skulking?

In general, though, I don't think it makes much difference. It's easy to distinguish handshakes/thanks that that are triggered by a genuine wish to thank you, from those that come essentially from politeness (which are also welcome!)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I'd not considered that - and certainly hope that's not how I come across.

I expect it's for the best to do whatever's normal in your region, regardless of personal feelings. Again, trying not to stand out as "the ref who always goes through the tunnel" or "the ref who never goes through the tunnel"

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

In general, though, I don't think it makes much difference. It's easy to distinguish handshakes/thanks that that are triggered by a genuine wish to thank you, from those that come essentially from politeness (which are also welcome!)
    Agreed in general, apart from one I had several years ago. At the end of a match, I hadn't had my best game, but a coach approached me, smiling, with his hand out. As we met and shook hands, he said, still smiling, "that's the worst display of refereeing I've ever seen". I didn't register exactly what he'd said until several seconds after he'd disappeared. Probably not the first time he'd done that, and cleverly staged to make it difficult for observers to see anything awry.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm reffing at a level where there, in my view, is too much blame going on and by walking through the tunnel you could inflame an issue, so why do it? Stand to the side clap everyone as they make their way through.

Also, our society shirts are white or light yellow and some smart arse always wants to put a muddy hand on your back and they're a bitch to get clean
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    I'm reffing at a level where there, in my view, is too much blame going on and by walking through the tunnel you could inflame an issue, so why do it? Stand to the side clap everyone as they make their way through.
    you could say the same thing about relationships between the players after a bad-tempered game -- but somehow the tunnel has the opposite effect, it's part of the process where the on-field conflict/anger ebbs away.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I walk through if invited. If not I don't. I shake hands with those that want to. The only refusal to shake hands I recall was one strop artist who refused to shake my hand telling me I was a disgrace. They'd just lost by 80+ pts

"Suit yourself" I said, smiled and left him to his bile. He didn't come in the club house but I took the trouble to tell one of the blazers their hooker was a prize prick.

Hopefully he is still plying his trade in Yorkshire 4 (where last our paths crossed) and with luck his manner and tackling prowess have improved.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Thread Information