Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: closing threads

All posts about the In Goal thread have been moved to that thread.
    Mod

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post

All posts about the In Goal thread have been moved to that thread.
    Mod
    which remains closed, and despite that, another mod post is added !

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Because it just serves to confuse new referees and achieves nothing apart from feeding peoples pet points.
    This^^^^
    It is my understanding that the core purpose of this site is to educate via discussion/Law reference/management tips.
    A lot of people who visit the site are either new or inexperienced referees looking for some guidance/help/life line from the more experienced referees on here. That goal is becoming more and more distant, pushed away in some threads where some posters have decided that they are going to argue a particular point till the day they die. The inexperienced ref who was looking/hoping for a straight forward answer gets dragged into old circular arguments and has to then try to make some sense of 100+ posts to get that answer (if they can be bothered to stay the distance).
    At some stage it is fair and reasonable for a Mod to make the decision to close that type of thread.

I sometimes wonder what visitors and new members of the site think when they read such threads. "Bloody hell! No wonder no-one can understand some referee's decisions during a game. These guys can't even agree with each other. They're like a bunch of headless chooks running around in circles".

Let's all remember the new/inexperienced referee seeking enlightenment when posting replies and leading discussions in different directions.
    Last edited by The Fat; 17-12-16 at 20:12.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    This^^^^
    It is my understanding that the core purpose of this site is to educate via discussion/Law reference/management tips.
    A lot of people who visit the site are either new or inexperienced referees looking for some guidance/help/life line from the more experienced referees on here. That goal is becoming more and more distant, pushed away in some threads where some posters have decided that they are going to argue a particular point till the day they die. The inexperienced ref who was looking/hoping for a straight forward answer gets dragged into old circular arguments and has to then try to make some sense of 100+ posts to get that answer (if they can be bothered to stay the distance).
    At some stage it is fair and reasonable for a Mod to make the decision to close that type of thread.

I sometimes wonder what visitors and new members of the site think when they read such threads. "Bloody hell! No wonder no-one can understand some referee's decisions during a game. These guys can't even agree with each other. They're like a bunch of headless chooks running around in circles".

Let's all remember the new/inexperienced referee seeking enlightenment when posting replies and leading discussions in different directions.
    Worse yet, there are some members (they know who they are) who have decided that they don't like the way a particular Law is applied, so they try to use another Law (usually the advantage Law ) in an attempt to circumvent THE INTENT of the Law they don't like.

This sort of clever-dick re-imagining of the Laws is completely out of order for referees. It only serves to confuse the players and new referees, as well as making a rod for the back of next week's referee, who will interpret the Law the way that 99.9999% of his peers do, i.e. in accordance with their Union's GMGs and their their Society's guidelines.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    which remains closed, and despite that, another mod post is added !
    I thought the thread had been re-opened by the mod who moved the other posts there. When I realised the thread was still closed, I removed my post!
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Fair enough, well done

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I disagree. IMO the role of a mod is twofold: address offensive posts and merge threads that should be merged. There used to be a third and that was to delete spam. But I don't see that anymore.

Boredom with a thread, thinking a poster is a prat, etc is not justification to moderate.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I disagree. IMO the role of a mod is twofold: address offensive posts and merge threads that should be merged. There used to be a third and that was to delete spam. But I don't see that anymore.

Boredom with a thread, thinking a poster is a prat, etc is not justification to moderate.
    Well how about this suggestion then Dickie.
    If a topic has been done to death previously and the subject is again raised (which is likely to happen) by a new/inexperienced ref who is looking for a straight answer, if the poster/posters who don't want to help the new guy out but instead want to continue arguing their lone stance, could they perhaps just post something like, "I don't agree with the general concensus and would like to argue my point in a new thread (insert link) for anyone who is interested", then those who want to continue arguing can go to that thread and others can help the new guy out. The new thread title could be, Arguing Re: ......................

How would your Referee Association handle a member who turned up at every meeting wanting to argue the same view on a piece of Law even when advised from more knowledgable/higher ranking refs that their view was not supported in Law. Would everyone else, hoping to learn something at the meetings, look forward to going over past ground again and again? Would that help new members?

I really think that sometimes there are threads that just decend into the kind of crap you get on the Rugby365 public forums etc and simply end up helping no-one and in some cases are quite destructive. At some point, I think a Mod should be able to lock such threads.
    That's just my honest opinion on the matter.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a topic has been done to death previously and the subject is again raised (which is likely to happen) by a new/inexperienced ref who is looking for a straight answer, if the poster/posters who don't want to help the new guy out but instead want to continue arguing their lone stance, could they perhaps just post something like, "I don't agree with the general concensus and would like to argue my point in a new thread (insert link) for anyone who is interested", then those who want to continue arguing can go to that thread and others can help the new guy out. The new thread title could be, Arguing Re: ......................
    good idea
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Gentlemen, gentlemen,

Can't we all just get along? It is Christmas time, please be filled with joy and forgive others.

If this is politically incorrect in your country, Happy Holidays you effin grinch.

Thread Information