Thread: How to completely mess up supporting referees and player recruitment

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Potomac Rugby Football Referees Society
    Grade
    C2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to completely mess up supporting referees and player recruitment

The RFU still hasn't really progressed - just look at this train crash of an article: http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38634427

Assuming these reported comments are valid then just wait for the Wail to refer to 57 old farts and completely mess any member recruitment efforts by local clubs.

Intention good, implementation piss poor IMHO.

Can anyone recommend a good PR agency for the RFU, sorry, England Rugby.

/rant over
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 19-01-17 at 21:01. Reason: fixed BBCode

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to completely mess up supporting referees and player recruitment

*shrug*

if its true what is the problem in admitting it?

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Potomac Rugby Football Referees Society
    Grade
    C2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to completely mess up supporting referees and player recruitment

Yes it is a problem, but you don't have to create an oppourtunity for the Daily Wail to report this as elitism by the RFU / the club.

As a referee I support the intent, but as a former Youth Chairman of an English club / RDO for Maryland I am dismayed beyond pissed off.

This will come back and haunt Mr. Grainger.
    Last edited by mark.lucas; 17-01-17 at 01:01.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see what the issue is with this article. They are highlighting a problem, they never say they want to stop recruitment from non rugby folk, just that some people need to be taught the culture to ensure it continues.

they might want to aim a similar article at certain professionals as well of course......

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It is nothing new or down to "new adherents". I watch a lot of low level matches in the Forest of Dean and Gloucester - both strong rugby areas with experienced spectators. I hear a lot of abuse, much of it ill-informed.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC we had this problem back when we won the RWC.

It is beholden on the Clubs to ensure that there is a behaviour contract for the parents (as one presumes this is from whom the abuse comes) and that miscreants are reminded of their responsibilities swiftly by all Club Officials. Every time I open a match day program the values of the game are front and centre and there are always posters around the Club reinforcing this message.

Perhaps we, as referees and our Society peers, have done a good job in ensuring that abuse (no matter how trivial it may seem) is reported by the referee/match official at the receiving end of this unpleasant behaviour. So, if blame is to apportioned - as that is what the article is seeking so to do - then we must shoulder some of the responsibility.

However, please don't take this that I feel we should be more thick skinned; far from it. I have oft advocated on this Forum that mantra of "If not you then who, if not now then when?".
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Thread Information