Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicking ball out of a ruck. Is this illegal?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kicking ball out of a ruck. Is this illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Frankly - no. Its been the history of law changes since the early 90s at least.

didds
    1890s, that is.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is another joke for TV rugby, no need to change the existing laws, very few players were savvy enough to get their foot on the ball to disrupt the opposition. The law makers are turning the game into a one sided contest once you have the ball. They'll be removing flankers next
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    . The law makers are turning the game into a one sided contest once you have the ball. They'll be removing flankers next
    Tru that.

Flankers were removed years ago when they were required to stay bound in scrum. A flippin joke. We use to call them "breakaways". The real reason they have to stay bound is to provide more space for the backs. all for da money

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required BikerRef's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Referee Society of NY
    Grade
    USAR C4
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    This is another joke for TV rugby, no need to change the existing laws, very few players were savvy enough to get their foot on the ball to disrupt the opposition. The law makers are turning the game into a one sided contest once you have the ball. They'll be removing flankers next
    My experience has been a bit different. I've seen plenty of less talented players attempt to kick a ball out of a ruck and end up injuring themselves or someone that was actually rucking in a ruck. I think the new law trials are spot on.
    "A good ship, a fine cigar and three fingers of scotch will almost always cure what ails ya'." -Aunt Annie D at 102 (+/-) years old.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRef View Post
    My experience has been a bit different. I've seen plenty of less talented players attempt to kick a ball out of a ruck and end up injuring themselves or someone that was actually rucking in a ruck. I think the new law trials are spot on.
    I call that learning, but rest assured now you'll be able to PK them for being "less talented".

Hopefully these less talented players will be able not to nudge the ball out accidentally as they lift feet forward and over to ruck the ball.

Intention is hard to referee. Whether a kick is intentional or happenstance will be also.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i'm glad to be rid of it, not sure who invented it or when it became vogue, a bad invention IMHO.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Bikerref and VM75, I'm glad this law has come in. More and more frequently people were trying to work their way through or over a ruck to kick the ball out, causing danger through where there feet were going, particularly where people were on the floor (and what ruck stays upright these days?).

This law change will prevent potentially dangerous action, and I don't see it has any particular impact on people's ability play rugby the 'right' way. There is still an option for a clear contest for the ball, even once a ruck has formed, we are just removing some of the more dangerous aspects of that ruck.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how much of a problem/danger it really is (stats on players kicked whilst in a ruck etc) compared to "its not what we think should be allowed because its 'wrong' old boy"

didds

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    I agree with Bikerref and VM75, I'm glad this law has come in. More and more frequently people were trying to work their way through or over a ruck to kick the ball out, causing danger through where there feet were going, particularly where people were on the floor (and what ruck stays upright these days?).

This law change will prevent potentially dangerous action, and I don't see it has any particular impact on people's ability play rugby the 'right' way. There is still an option for a clear contest for the ball, even once a ruck has formed, we are just removing some of the more dangerous aspects of that ruck.
    Yes. I can see quite clearly now that heeling the ball backwards won't in any way endanger anyone on the ground.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post

(c) Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.

I think we had a law already,

Thread Information