Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Foul Play has a happy ending

      
  1. #1

    Referees in England
    Blindpugh's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Join Date
    03 Aug 07
    Posts
    186
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Foul Play has a happy ending

    Thought I would post this under Golden Oldies because most of my local club's (New Milton) 3rd team are over 40.

    I work with Ed's mother in law and was disappointed to hear that he had been booted in the head and broken his nose (again!).

    Was watching BBC South Today and pleased to see that act of foul play had a happy ending!

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ost-sense.html

    Video - I thought that referee managed situation very well with red for tip tackle. I understand that club banned player for kicking Ed.

  2. #2
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Join Date
    03 Sep 14
    Posts
    3,326
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Who was the large guy in white joining the pitch? What's he doing there?

  3. #3

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,176
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    Video - I thought that referee managed situation very well with red for tip tackle.
    I don't.

    Got too close to the action, trying to break things up. Ended up with things happening behind his back because he was too close.

    Didn't appear to separate the teams, or give himself time. All seemed a bit hurried and disorganised to me.

    Did he take the players name before dismissing him???

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


  4. #4

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    13,204
    Thanks (Received)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    1092

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Who was the large guy in white joining the pitch? What's he doing there?
    it was the TMO..

  5. #5
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Join Date
    03 Sep 14
    Posts
    3,326
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Agreed Phil. Far too close. Did he even see the person who can onto the pitch?

  6. #6

    Referees in England
    Blindpugh's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Join Date
    03 Aug 07
    Posts
    186
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I don't.

    Got too close to the action, trying to break things up. Ended up with things happening behind his back because he was too close.

    Didn't appear to separate the teams, or give himself time. All seemed a bit hurried and disorganised to me.

    Did he take the players name before dismissing him???
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I don't.

    Got too close to the action, trying to break things up. Ended up with things happening behind his back because he was too close.

    Didn't appear to separate the teams, or give himself time. All seemed a bit hurried and disorganised to me.

    Did he take the players name before dismissing him???
    Phil, I agree with all your comments that referee got too close and should of blown his whistle stood back and watched the players running in and then dealt with the offenders after seperating the teams and gathering his thoughts. This is the technique I was shown and used from L9 - L6 and will use when I start coaching referees in the New Year.

    Fyi, this was a Dorset & Wilts Div 3 game so probably L11/12? I have seen many new referees simply bottle it at this level and it was from this persepctive I said well done.

    Main reason for posting this thread was to show that several positive things came out of this act of foul play namely player regained his sense of smell after 27 years and this helped avert a gas explosion outside a school/ nursery and in a built up area!!!

  7. #7

    Referees in England
    Adam's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)
    Join Date
    02 Apr 08
    Posts
    2,489
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    29

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    In a league game I don't take a player's name any more. It is on the match card. Much more effective I find to get the offending player off the pitch and just clarify the player's surname with the captain when giving him the explanation.

    It is the club's problem if it is the wrong player on the match card. The disciplinary committee will get the correct player sanctioned anyway.

  8. #8

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,176
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    Fyi, this was a Dorset & Wilts Div 3 game so probably L11/12? I have seen many new referees simply bottle it at this level and it was from this persepctive I said well done.
    In that context agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    In a league game I don't take a player's name any more. It is on the match card. Much more effective I find to get the offending player off the pitch and just clarify the player's surname with the captain when giving him the explanation.

    It is the club's problem if it is the wrong player on the match card. The disciplinary committee will get the correct player sanctioned anyway.
    But you cannot guarantee that the shirt number he is wearing matches the shirt number on the card, especially if he is a sub. You don't want to risk the player getting off on a technicality because you got the wrong name or wrong number. This has happened in Warwickshire where a ref took the name off the card, it was the wrong name, made his report look stupid.............got thrown out as they couldn't identify the guilty player.

    I always ask for his name, and then get the Captain to confirm it, and then finally check it against the card.
    Oh, and you need his first name as well, quite common for brothers to be playing together.
    Last edited by Phil E; 04-12-14 at 13:12.

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


  9. #9

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    South Manchester Referee association
    Grade
    ELRA 2
    Join Date
    11 Aug 12
    Posts
    116
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    I'm sure different areas have different protocols but in the North West we have been told NOT to get the players name, just get him off the pitch. Name is sought after the game from the captain etc.

    Firmly puts the monkey on the clubs back to ensure that the player sent off was correctly identified.

  10. #10

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,176
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foul Play has a happy ending

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1974 View Post
    I'm sure different areas have different protocols but in the North West we have been told NOT to get the players name, just get him off the pitch. Name is sought after the game from the captain etc.

    Firmly puts the monkey on the clubs back to ensure that the player sent off was correctly identified.
    Interesting

    This is from the Warwickshire website:

    Discipline – Sending Off Procedure

    At the time of the incident.
    Make a note of the player’s full name and the position he/she is playing – ask him & write it on your score-sheet. Confirm it with his captain. Note the time during the game + the score What was the dismissal for? – Make a note! + What led up to it- ruck/maul/scrum etc. Note your position in relation to the incident: i.e. 3 metres away, unobstructed view. Show the player the red card!!! Did the player offer an apology to you after the game, if so make a note and mention it in your report.

    After the match.
    Do not discuss the dismissal in the bar with anyone. Go back home, collect your thoughts and inform the Discipline Secretary within 24 hours. Complete the front of the form – answer the questions. On the rear – fill in the match conditions. Now – the blank bit! Where on the pitch did it happen? Who was the attacking team? What actually happened? Was your view clear or obstructed, were any injuries caused to any player? Did he receive treatment on/off the pitch? Did you show the player a red card? Any other relevant information – did the player apologise to you after the game in the clubhouse? Remember to be clear and decisive – believe in what you saw – that’s why you sent the player off! Do not make your views on the incident known, you are there to simply enforce the laws not pass comment on their effect.

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •