Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

      
  1. #1
    Slowing down these days

    Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    21 Jan 09
    Posts
    383
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    I gave a decision today which received much questionig.
    Blue are defending at a ruck , about 3m from their goal line.
    They do well and win the ball. The blue 10 moves to the very back of the in goal in ordee to execute the exit strategy. Blue 9 passes back to him and the 10 kicks to touch. Now, he messes up his kick and the ball lands on the 5m line. His blue teammate had remained on the try line (i.e, in front of the kicker and within 10m of where the ball lands).The blue player cant resist going for ball and catches it.
    I blow for offside. Red take ir quickly and score. Cue blue s coach and team asking me 2 points. "He cant be offside in goal!" And "what is he supposed to do? Just let the red attacker catch the ball and score ? How can he defend legaly ?"
    Interestingly, if you can give offside under 10m law, how could red choose to restart the game ?

  2. #2

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,202
    Thanks (Received)
    105
    Likes (Received)
    1435

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    I gave a decision today which received much questionig.
    Blue are defending at a ruck , about 3m from their goal line.
    They do well and win the ball. The blue 10 moves to the very back of the in goal in ordee to execute the exit strategy. Blue 9 passes back to him and the 10 kicks to touch. Now, he messes up his kick and the ball lands on the 5m line. His blue teammate had remained on the try line (i.e, in front of the kicker and within 10m of where the ball lands).The blue player cant resist going for ball and catches it.
    I blow for offside. Red take ir quickly and score. Cue blue s coach and team asking me 2 points. "He cant be offside in goal!" And "what is he supposed to do? Just let the red attacker catch the ball and score ? How can he defend legaly ?"

    Coach: "He cant be offside in goal!"
    Ref: "Yes, he can"

    Coach: "what is he supposed to do? Just let the red attacker catch the ball and score ?"
    Ref: "Yes"

    Coach" "How can he defend legally?"
    Ref: He can't.


    Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Interestingly, if you can give offside under 10m law, how could red choose to restart the game ?
    1. PK in line with the mark, no closer than 5m from the opposition goal line.

    2. Scrum (no closer than 5m) in line with the place where Blue last played the ball, which in this case would be the same place
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  3. #3

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,201
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    444

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Coach: "He cant be offside in goal!"
    Ref: "Yes, he can"

    Coach: "what is he supposed to do? Just let the red attacker catch the ball and score ?"
    Ref: "Yes"

    Coach" "How can he defend legally?"
    Ref: He can't.




    1. PK in line with the mark, no closer than 5m from the opposition goal line.

    2. Scrum (no closer than 5m) in line with the place where Blue last played the ball, which in this case would be the same place
    Re the bit in bold.
    Coach" "How can he defend legally?"
    Ref: He can't.


    Coach: "How can he defend legally?"
    Ref: He can't in the first instance because he is in an offside position. However, after he caught the ball and was penalised for offside under the 10m law, his only chance is to put the ball down, get to the goal line before the quick tap is taken and then attempt to tackle the red ball carrier. Other than that, not much at all.
    What the Ref is probably thinking: He could take his 10 down to the park through the week and teach him how to kick when under pressure.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

  4. #4

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,905
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    331

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Serious question, are Blue expected to retire the full 10m or just to their goal line?

  5. #5

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,297
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    "and, coach, just be thankful it wasn't a penalty try and YC"
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  6. #6

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,201
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    444

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Serious question, are Blue expected to retire the full 10m or just to their goal line?
    Goal line.
    If it is a shallow in-goal of say 5m and the ball is coming down 1m from the goal line, you can't make the bulk of the kicker's team retire to 4m behind the DBL.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

  7. #7

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,905
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    331

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Goal line. If it is a shallow in-goal of say 5m and the ball is coming down 1m from the goal line, you can't make the bulk of the kicker's team retire to 4m behind the DBL.
    That's what I would have thought.

    So the answer to the question "But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir?" is "The same as every PK 5m out from your goal line where they tap and go."

  8. #8
    Player or Coach ChrisR's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    14 Jul 10
    Posts
    3,226
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    320

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    Under the 10m law the off-side player must retire the 10m or behind the kicker. Any onside player may advance and them on.

    So there are ways of defending including retreating and hoping the ops knock-on.

  9. #9

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,202
    Thanks (Received)
    105
    Likes (Received)
    1435

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    I think some of you are reading the OP dofferently from me

    AIUI, the question "How can he defend legally?" refers to the Blue player before he was penalised for playing the ball in an offside position. In the scenario given, he cannot advance beyond his own goal-line, so there is no way he can legally play the ball. All he can do is wait on his own goal-line and hope he can tackle any Red player who picks up the ball and attempts to score a try. So, in a sense, he can defend legally, but he's very limited in what he can do and in all likelihood, if there is a Red player waiting to pick up the ball, he will not be able to prevent a try being scored
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  10. #10
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    206

    Default Re: But how is he supposed to defend ,Sir? Offside in-goal

    There are times when there is nothing you can do to stop the other side scoring.
    The aim is not to get into those situations.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •