Thread: 22 or 5m attacking scrum ?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 22 or 5m attacking scrum ?

Chhristy, 22.3(b) was, if I remember correctly, added as clarification to the question about what happens if there is simultaneous contact with the TIG or DB lines and the ball carrier grounding the ball. (It is clear elsewhere that if not ball carrier then it doesn't matter if the attacker is in TIG or over the DBL he can touch down for a try) For me that was never intended to overcome 22.11 which is clear it is dependent on who played the ball into in-goal that determines the restart. I know you think you have found a loophole, but this is one of the things that has (I feel) escaped the notice of the editors, and I would not recommend that you apply that ruling in a game a the expectation amongst most referees is that the restart will be scrum 5 attacking where it was taken or played into in goal by the defence.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What editors?

Referees in Italy

Soc/Assoc
    CN Arbitri Rugby
    Grade
    Arbitro Effettivo
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Law 22.3 (b) is meant to clarify what happens if an attacking player enters the try area and touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead-ball-line.
    They did not write "enters the try area" i know, but if law is not clear, let's all think about "good ref beahviour".
    Would you punish an attacking team because the defence brought the ball inside its own try area, lost it, and let the attacking team to pick it up?
    After all of that, giving a 22, would be a real poor choice ihmo

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cccref View Post
    Law 22.3 (b) is meant to clarify what happens if an attacking player enters the try area and touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead-ball-line.
    They did not write "enters the try area" i know, but if law is not clear, let's all think about "good ref beahviour".
    Would you punish an attacking team because the defence brought the ball inside its own try area, lost it, and let the attacking team to pick it up?
    After all of that, giving a 22, would be a real poor choice ihmo
    CCCREF, whilst that is true, it also covered the situation where an attacking player was not the ball carrier taking the ball into in-goal but became the ball carrier (perhaps by catching it) and grounded the ball at the same time as contacting the TIG line or DBL. However I still think it does not trump the basic consideration in 22.11 about who took the ball in deciding the restart.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately 22.3(b) is assuming that the ball has been carried into goal by the attacking side. It should simply say "The try is not awarded".

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

All ties in with the confusion that reigns over he laws clarification on the amendment trials for Touch an Lineout, ball moving vs not moving being irrelevant, etc.

No confusion in my mind if you ignore the WR clarification, something in itself I seriously call into question:

"https://youtu.be/Qh2ABCXf1Z8 = New decision - 22m drop out as kicking team took ball into in goal instead of scrum back to where ball originally kicked from"

Crazeeeey!

Thread Information