Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Waybe Barnes Yellow Card Sexton 10

Tonight in match Ireland play Wales. Sexton makes a try saving tackle using great skill and gets stuck. Not only does he get pinged for not rolling away he gets a YC and it has a major impact on game.

So what are we saying, don't make the skillful tackle Sexton? It was practically impossible for him to roll away.

Anyone else think it was a harsh call?

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Waybe Barnes Yellow Card Sexton 10

Quote Originally Posted by breako View Post
    Tonight in match Ireland play Wales. Sexton makes a try saving tackle using great skill and gets stuck. Not only does he get pinged for not rolling away he gets a YC and it has a major impact on game.

So what are we saying, don't make the skillful tackle Sexton? It was practically impossible for him to roll away.

Anyone else think it was a harsh call?
    Clearly killing the ball, was his view? Nothing clear about it, was my first view. So if it was clear, then you could perhaps agree with his decision.

It did raise an eyebrow from my perspective as a neutral?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not referring to this particular incident, I only dipped in and out of the game. International players are very adept at getting themselves into a position that they can roll away from. Let's remember that they are coached to slow the ball down . I'd like to see more cards issued for this type of thing. Players will soon learn to tackle and "roll away" instead of tackle and "roll in".

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Not referring to this particular incident, I only dipped in and out of the game. International players are very adept at getting themselves into a position that they can roll away from. Let's remember that they are coached to slow the ball down . I'd like to see more cards issued for this type of thing. Players will soon learn to tackle and "roll away" instead of tackle and "roll in".

100% bang on Pegleg

The responsibility is on the tackler not to get himself into a position where he will be trapped. Too often, I see tacklers making sure they fall on the opponent's side of the tackle (thereby ensuring at least some slowing down of the ball) and then making what can only be described as a Hollywood Production of trying to roll away.
    Quotes about Jonah Lomu:
    •"I've seen a lot players like him, but none of them played on the wing."
    - Colin Meads
    •"Me? As England's answer to Jonah Lomu? Joanna Lumley, more likely." - Damian Hopley
    •"There's no doubt about it, he's a big b'stard." - Gavin Hastings
    "A figure who inspires hero worship among even those who think a fly-half is a glass of beer consumed when 'er indoors is looking the other way." - Robert Philip - Daily Telegraph

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    WOSRS
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I too agree with this interpretation. Generally players who end up on the wrong side killing the ball have either put themselves there, or certainly have not done enough to prevent themselves ending up in that position. They have to take some responsibility for where the end up. I know there will be exceptions where momentum, nature of the tackle etc mean you end up on a bad place and cannot get out, but i would say there are many ore instances where players are more than happy to end up on the wrong side, making no effort not to end up there.

It looks harsh but i agree with the decision.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree .
    Its not the refs fault , tackler got stuck .
    In fairness to barnes , a couple times wales players tried to hold tackler in & barnes didnt fall for it .

I did think however he was too lenient at times , as i thought a few penalties could of come welsh way ( as in sure vice versa ) .at tackle / ruck .

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I guess at that level you could say they all do it but in slomo which Wayne didn't have it looked liked a second effort from the Welsh tackled player tied sexton in with no chance of getting out.
    I thought early on he could have carded welsh players for cynically killing the ball when Ireland were driving for the line. But just two penalties 6 points instead of 14!
    Ciaran Trainor

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Waybe Barnes Yellow Card Sexton 10

Christy I agree the referee is only applying the Laws of the game, However ‪for me it was a harsh decision. Make up your own mind ; Short ‬Highlights: Wales 22-9 Ireland. ‪May be better replays in this playlist, unfortunately not available to me this side of the channel.‬

Another "topic" beginning discussed online is his penalty of Green7 for offside at the ruck, when it was a tackle only situation. Sorry I don't have a video clip, due to (stupid) rights restrictions.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This. And in this case my immediate reaction was that he'd made an effort to get stuck.

In slow motion, I didn't change my mind. If he'd tried to fall so he could roll away he could have.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My concern is that a lot of refs are guessing the tackler could have rolled away. If the tackler gets stuck or bound the split second after the tackle it's very difficult to call that, because he can't move. Are attacking teams making sure he can't move so they get the penalty? That's what it looked like lat night.

So then it comes down to then did the tackler deliberately fall on that side? Well for a front on tackle you could say that but this was a trailing tackle where you are trying to make sure the ball carrier can't reach out and score. So it's very difficult to control where you will land and its an incredible skill to be able to make that tackle.

No way Sexton could have rolled away in that instance and if Barnes wasn't 100% sure, he could have just given penalty and warning. He could have also giving a decent advantage to Wales and see what came from that - but no. Straight to the card. Why not even try and advantage when you are that close to the line.

Wales gave away 3 penalties in strong attacking positions and didn't give one. This for me was the turning point of the match and sorry - thought it wasn't the right call.

Thread Information