Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Netherlands
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    13 Oct 16
    Posts
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    I have a maul related question... I've been reading through the laws (Maul laws - 17), and I cannot find anything that stops 'Fringing', where players creep around the outside of a maul.


    Consider this: Blue are in possession and have got the ball to the back of the maul. A red player joins the maul at his side and binds with arm 1 onto a team mate, all perfectly legal. He then binds further round the outside of the maul with arm 2 and has two full arm binds. He releases arm 1 and moves it up to bind with arms 1 & 2 together. Then he unbinds arm 2 and moves it further round to repeat the action, including binding onto opponents, but always keeping a full arm bind.


    Assuming he does not get bound in by a blue player, what is there to stop him moving all the way round to the ball carrier?


    I cannot find anything that prevents this, but it does not seem right.


    Opinions?

  2. #2

    Referees in Ireland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    25 May 16
    Posts
    443
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    (b)

    A player must be caught in or bound to the maul and not just alongside it.



    Sanction: Penalty kick

    Hi martin .
    I would say above might cover your scenario. ( in law )
    Players cant swim around a maul ( as some call it ) ..
    They can move up through centre of maul , as long as they are caught in maul .
    To try & gain access to ball .





  3. #3
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Netherlands
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    13 Oct 16
    Posts
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    But in my description they are always full arm bound, but they carefully (and one would assume quickly) single bind - double bind - single bind - double bind. It is a kind of swimming around the maul, but the binding is never illegal.
    I hope I am not giving coaches any ideas...

  4. #4

    Referees in Australia
    menace's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    20 Nov 09
    Posts
    3,332
    Thanks (Received)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    380
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    I would say what you're describing, by remaining bound at every 'stroke' is legal...but in the real world they are not doing it carefully nor slowly and the result is that in their haste or action they actually lose the bind. And as soon as they do that and reattach to the side of the maul they have rejoined the maul in front of the most hind foot.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

  5. #5

    Referees in England
    Nigib's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    02 Jul 07
    Posts
    331
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    (b)

    A player must be caught in or bound to the maul and not just alongside it.



    Sanction: Penalty kick

    Hi martin .
    I would say above might cover your scenario. ( in law )
    Players cant swim around a maul ( as some call it ) ..
    They can move up through centre of maul , as long as they are caught in maul .
    To try & gain access to ball .




    'Alongside' means not bound. The OP description has the player legally bound throughout, and the Law Book does not specifically forbid it. However it's accepted that it is not allowed, and it certainly 'looks wrong'.

  6. #6

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,655
    Thanks (Received)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    271

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    From the definitions.

    Binding: Grasping firmly another player’s body between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.

    I reckon only a contortionist could legally do what you suggest.
    Last edited by Taff; 16-03-17 at 00:03.

  7. #7

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    11,632
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    1049

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I would say what you're describing, by remaining bound at every 'stroke' is legal...but in the real world they are not doing it carefully nor slowly and the result is that in their haste or action they actually lose the bind. And as soon as they do that and reattach to the side of the maul they have rejoined the maul in front of the most hind foot.
    Specifically covered in ARU GMGs:

    Players bound on the side of the maul may not ‘slide’ forward or ‘swim’ around the maul. These players are not remaining bound and are not caught up in the maul, and are therefore offside.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  8. #8

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    12,929
    Thanks (Received)
    98
    Likes (Received)
    1327

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    The only way a maul player can get to the opposition ball carrier legitimately, is by having been bound into the maul by team mates, and having pushed his way though the maul. When this happens, you sometimes hear the referee say "he came through the middle". He is telling the opposition that this mauler is entitled to be where he is.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  9. #9

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    14,654
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1357

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    The only way a maul player can get to the opposition ball carrier legitimately, is by having been bound into the maul by team mates, and having pushed his way though the maul. When this happens, you sometimes hear the referee say "he came through the middle". He is telling the opposition that this mauler is entitled to be where he is.
    what the OP wanted was a Law Reference to support that.
    but like so many things there isn't really one, and it's more of a convention than a specific Law

  10. #10

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    11,632
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    1049

    Default Re: Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    what the OP wanted was a Law Reference to support that.
    but like so many things there isn't really one, and it's more of a convention than a specific Law
    it is in our game management guidelines and that is as good as law here. I appreciate that this isn't global
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •