Thread: Stoppages after 80 mins

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stoppages after 80 mins

One odd thing about the France v Wales 100 minute game : after the clock reached 80 minutes from then on it didn't stop for anything - for instance all through the prolonged discussions WB had with the 4th official the clock ran and ran. Same for subsequent injuries, same for the TMO inspection of a possible bite ... the clock just kept going.

This had a big impact : because the Welsh had a player in the bin. He was allowed back on to the pitch after ten elapsed minutes, which was MUCH less that than ten mins playing time.

Is there any justification in Law for that - or was is a complete cock up by the timekeeper. Who had one job

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

Oddly, Barnes seemed to stop the clock more than usual in the scrum resets before 80 minutes but as soon as the time reached 80 he no longer did anything to stop the clock - he didn't say "time off" or make a time off signal at all, even though there were still similar resets. It appeared that he deliberately chose to leave time running - maybe there was some guideline he believed he was implementing, or maybe, until the sin bin, he correctly reasoned that there was no reason to stop the clock to add additional time, as the time on the clock had become irrelevant to the end of the match. Of course it made a significant difference to the length of the sin bin, and perhaps he simply forgot, in the confusion over the front row replacement (which suggested significant confusion with the sideline officials - why did he have to speak French to someone who appeared to be the fourth official?)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think it was WB's timekeeping. Clearly while WB is having a long discussion with the 4th official, the timekeeper doesn't need any instruction from the ref to stop the clock.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that he did say several times that time was off but the timekeeper didn't stop the clock.

This is one after match debrief/discussion I would like to sit in on, and I'd like to see his self review/time-line.

I also can't help thinking that Wayne has got his after dinner speech sorted out for the next few years.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was a cock up by the time keeper. It went from the sublime to the ridiculous. The last three minutes playing time took over five minutes.
    I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure there's no difference between stoppages before and after 80 minutes.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought Barnes' handling of the whole period was exemplary. He was completely calm, and never flustered, even when his own officials were bowling him curve balls -- a timekeeper who ceases to keep time, a 4th official who doesn't know the difference between a player who is injured and replaced, and one who is tactically substituted. Again he had one job!

(or are they one and the same person -- who had just two jobs)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Surely the last play of the game and the game goes on until the ball goes dead and so the stopping and starting of the clock is irrelevant. Time is of no matter!

........except in this instance there was a sin binning running at the time so an added twist!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So it DOES matter

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I watched the end again, and Wayne Barnes stops the clock at 79:23, 79:32, 79:46, and 80:03 - and then apart from a double whistle and something inaudible at 91:32 when he gives a warning to Warburton and tells him that he can take time to pass that warning on (at which point the clock doesn't stop), I can't hear anything which sounds at all like stopping/starting the clock for the rest of the match. That 91:32 moment is the same game stoppage during which the sin binned player returns. At that point there was still 20 seconds on the BBC graphics counting down the sin-bin.

Who provides the fourth official and other sideline officials? Barnes was talking to them in French, both when checking whether the Welsh player was injured or a tactical substitution and when trying to find out who the Welsh management wanted to take off to get the prop back on, which didn't seem to get sorted until Ben O'Keefe was sent to run to half-way to find out.

I think Barnes handled the end well, as well as possible, probably, but it was all very unsatisfactory.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So it DOES matter
    Well we now have a great precedent for something not seemingly catered for in the laws? With the new end of play laws as regards restarts from penalties into touch at the end of the game, games will more opportunities to run beyond the clock more frequently and yes it could benefit teams with someone in the bin.

doesn't necessarily mean you should create a law clarification in my mind. There is some logic in not stopping the clock just so we can have a fairly fruitless debate about who benefits. Sledgehammer to crack a nut in my view.

Thread Information