Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 146

Thread: Stoppages after 80 mins

      
  1. #61
    Player or Coach

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    07 Mar 17
    Posts
    251
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Did anyone else notice the clock appearing to restart before WB instructed it to during the latter plays of the normal match ?

    WB signals time off at 76:58 on game clock [Game clock then stops at 77:00, a reasonable reaction tolerance]

    https://youtu.be/xPxKIuEhVl0?t=6516

    Unless I misheard, at 77:12 WB appears to say "watch on", which if correct means someone has already restarted the clock 12s earlier without his prior instruction

    I'm struggling to think of a French benefit for doing so, so who would ?

  2. #62

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    12,448
    Thanks (Received)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    907

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by VM75 View Post
    Did anyone else notice the clock appearing to restart before WB instructed it to during the latter plays of the normal match ?

    WB signals time off at 76:58 on game clock [Game clock then stops at 77:00, a reasonable reaction tolerance]

    https://youtu.be/xPxKIuEhVl0?t=6516

    Unless I misheard, at 77:12 WB appears to say "watch on", which if correct means someone has already restarted the clock 12s earlier without his prior instruction

    I'm struggling to think of a French benefit for doing so, so who would ?
    I don't think the timekeeper is limited to obeying instructions from the ref. He keeps time, and if play obviously stops, or obviously starts, he presses his button. Instructions from the ref are additional to this ---

  3. #63

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    13,935
    Thanks (Received)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't think the timekeeper is limited to obeying instructions from the ref. He keeps time, and if play obviously stops, or obviously starts, he presses his button. Instructions from the ref are additional to this ---
    Sorry but your wrong. The timekeeper will only do what the referee instructs him to. The referee is in charge and the timekeeper won't do anything without his say so. I have seen it where the ref forgets to say time off and the clock keeps running, it's only when an AR reminds him to say time off that he says it and then the timekeeper stops the clock. The timekeeper stopping the clock on his own would be like an AR blowing a whistle instead of the ref.

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


  4. #64

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    12,448
    Thanks (Received)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    907

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    So if a referee restarts a game without actually saying time on, the timekeeper would dumbly leave the clock stopped? I don't think so.
    I watch a lot of games with ref link, when it's obvious the watch will stop and start without instruction

  5. #65

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    10,888
    Thanks (Received)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    771

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    I ran the TV clock at the Twickenham 7s in 2015 and sat with the ground timekeepers who (I think) are the regular dudes. They were actually able to talk to the ref through the comms and remind him if he had forgotten to say time off. I've never seen that anywhere else in the world.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  6. #66

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    13,935
    Thanks (Received)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So if a referee restarts a game without actually saying time on, the timekeeper would dumbly leave the clock stopped? I don't think so.
    Well I do...because I sit in the same room as the timekeeper for Tigers games.
    As Dickie says he wont start it on his own but he will somehow try to get a message to the ref.
    If there has been a mistake the timekeeper can add or delete time from the clock to get it correct.

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


  7. #67
    Player or Coach

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    07 Mar 17
    Posts
    251
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Well I do...because I sit in the same room as the timekeeper for Tigers games.
    As Dickie says he wont start it on his own but he will somehow try to get a message to the ref.
    If there has been a mistake the timekeeper can add or delete time from the clock to get it correct.
    Any Idea who would have started the clock at 77:00 prior to WB saying 'watch on' & why?

  8. #68

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    10,888
    Thanks (Received)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    771

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    As Dickie says he wont start it on his own
    I didn't actually say that. All I said was time keeper had ability to talk to ref


    This clock we're talking about ... is it the stadium clock or the TV clock or are they one & the same?
    Last edited by Dickie E; 22-03-17 at 00:03.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #69

    Referees/Trains Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    13,935
    Thanks (Received)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    This clock we're talking about ... is it the stadium clock or the TV clock or are they one & the same?
    They should be one and the same. They all take a feed from the official timekeeper.

    Follow my blog The Rugby Ref


  10. #70

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    10,888
    Thanks (Received)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    771

    Default Re: Stoppages after 80 mins

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    They should be one and the same. They all take a feed from the official timekeeper.
    thats not how it works here nor for 7s at Twickenham. Maybe same in france?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •