Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    Eastern Counties
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Under 14s kicking to touch from a penalty

I'm due to AR an u14 Cup Final later today so just boning up on the age grade rules of play. There is no mention of kicking to touch from a penalty so I would assume the 'normal' laws apply - in particular that you can kick direct to touch from a penalty (regardless of where you are) and the subsequent line out is taken from in line with where the ball crossed the touchline and the kicking team gets the throw-in.

However :

Kicking:a) Kicking the ball when it is on the ground is allowed (known as a “flyhack”).b) Drop goals are permitted.c) If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 10 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

Am I to assume this means kicking in open play and does NOT apply to a penalty kick? Also it seems odd that a kick which bounces into touch leads to a lineout whereas a kick direct to touch leads to a free pass?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Under 14s kicking to touch from a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by smudgie49 View Post
    I'm due to AR an u14 Cup Final later today so just boning up on the age grade rules of play. There is no mention of kicking to touch from a penalty so I would assume the 'normal' laws apply - in particular that you can kick direct to touch from a penalty (regardless of where you are) and the subsequent line out is taken from in line with where the ball crossed the touchline and the kicking team gets the throw-in.

However :

Kicking:a) Kicking the ball when it is on the ground is allowed (known as a “flyhack”).b) Drop goals are permitted.c) If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 10 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

Am I to assume this means kicking in open play and does NOT apply to a penalty kick? Also it seems odd that a kick which bounces into touch leads to a lineout whereas a kick direct to touch leads to a free pass?
    I thought U14 just played proper Laws with little balls, shorter halves and modifications to scrum and lineout?

Isn't all that free pass stuff for U12 and younger?

Sorry I haven't a clue but will be interested to know - not much help given it's 12:45 I know. Perhaps one of the age group experts will pop up before you're due to kick off. Good Luck.

In your shoes (black hopefully) I'd just stick my flag up and let the referee FIU
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

U14 Regulations HERE

Look at point 5 and 6

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Perhaps one of the age group experts will pop up before you're due to kick off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    U14 Regulations HERE

Look at point 5 and 6
    Or Phil E.

It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    Eastern Counties
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    U14 Regulations HERE

Look at point 5 and 6
    Notsurehowthathelps?Myspacebarhasstoppedworking!!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There is one reference to a free pass and that is in 9(c) - which looks suspiciously like a cut and paste from under 13.
    Did they really mean to keep the free pass for balls kicked directly into touch?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    Eastern Counties
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    There is one reference to a free pass and that is in 9(c) - which looks suspiciously like a cut and paste from under 13.
    Did they really mean to keep the free pass for balls kicked directly into touch?
    Agreed, looks like an error. It doesn't seem to accord with the other law differences.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smudgie49 View Post
    Notsurehowthathelps?Myspacebarhasstoppedworking!!

Ref my space bar not working.
    This happens to me some times when replying with qupte of poster you are refering to.
    I find that if i go to last line of previous quote and place a few dots .....................

I can then press return key to get a new line & then i can type properly
    Hope this makes sense .

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is you take the laws as per the 15 aside game unless specifically contradicted. Here, without good reason to do otherwise, I would expect the line out to go to the kicking team. It might however be worth reading the NROP for older age groups in case it's explicitly introduced later?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Was this ever resolved? I'm just moving into u14 next season, and the current regulations still do not comment on permitted actions from a penalty.

https://www.englandrugby.com//dxdam/...Appendix_8.pdf

In contrast, for u13 there are no penalties, only free kicks, and there is clear guidance on play following a free kick.

Thread Information