Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Central
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dummying

Have seen the following on a number of occasions what might be described as "dummying" the opposition at the back of a ruck. What I have seen is the scrum half tap the ball and then run forward or sideways without the ball. Immediately a team mate picks up the ball and moves forward.

Ruck Law says "a player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that the ball is out of the ruck while it is still in the ruck. " So would expect a referee to manage and a free kick might be awarded. Fine.

What then happens if this dummy move is at the back of a tackle only ? Seems fine to me and play on. Just adds to the referees list of things to consider between tackle and ruck.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dummying

AIUI the now banned ruck/maul dummy was to try and draw a PK from the oppo. There won;t be any such "benefit" from dummying in this manner at a tackle as there is no offside line to draw a PK from. I would have thought not picking the ball at a tackle runs the risk of the opposition taking the ball!

didds

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If its a ruck , and dummy player runs forward with out the ball , he could be got for not binding in ruck & ahead of hind most foot .
    If he has tapped ball out of ruck & run forwards with out the ball , he could be done for obstruction also.

If he has tapped ball out of ruck & ran side ways , ..i would play on .( unless he is really dummying picking up ball )

If its a tackle only ,, i wouldnt see how it would really help his side , as opposition would surely come through gate & pick up ball ...but in law i dont beleive he could be penalised ,,as he could if it was a ruck .

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    AIUI the now banned ruck/maul dummy was to try and draw a PK from the oppo. There won;t be any such "benefit" from dummying in this manner at a tackle as there is no offside line to draw a PK from. I would have thought not picking the ball at a tackle runs the risk of the opposition taking the ball!

didds
    Unless you're Italian of course? In which case there is no risk!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The "dummy" that really irritates me (because it never sanctioned by elite refs) is the one where the #9 is shaping for a box kick, usually just outside the 22. With everyone alert to what he's up to, and preparing to navigate round pillars etc to get to the 9, our hero will stoop towards the ball, kicking foot trailing well behind where it would normally be. He then pats the ground on both sides of the ball, which triggers the oppo to start their rush. Having done this, he then picks up the ball, causing oppo to realise their mistake and back off for fear of being penalised.

As regards the OP, I would penalise the action. The only reason to take that action is to make the oppo defenders follow you while leaving a hole for the real ball carrier. They would only follow you because they believe you have the ball - and thus that it is now out of the ruck.

Agree that the law does not extend to the tackle situation (law 15)
    Don't feed the pedant!

Thread Information