Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ref calling you

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    There's been a lot of good posts about what a referee should do.

What he can do? PK. If the player has been an arse during the game, YC. It wouldn't be smart, or a good move, but he ​can.
    The ref "CAN" do pretty much what he wants to do. However, he will soon find himself out of favour with teams AND the union if he comes over as a jumped up "I am".

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Ref calling you

If you do come across a referee like that, then bear in mind;
    During the match
    ‪6.A.4‬ The duties of the referee in the playing enclosure
    (a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match. The referee must apply fairly all the Laws of the Game in every match.

I would suggest, if you are not team captain, then a good place to draw the line would be to restrict yourself to " Yes, sir" or Indeed "No, sir" if you feel that way inclined.
    All the more, if as you say the ref has an "attitude". What good will it do your team if you get sent off unfairly?
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Cross, I think it is a bit of a silly question - imagine this is in the street and the caller is a police officer. What might be the consequences of "you wanna talk to me, you come here"?

This is not something I would recommend a player to do. I think I would hope a ref would be able to negotiate a suitable exit from such a stalemate, but at the end of the day a sanction against the player would not be totally out of order.

Alasdair

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a player is just annoyingly cheeky, one option is to just ignore him and then next time he does anything at a breakdown e.g. not rolling away, comes in from the side - bin him for that. If he wants to draw attention to himself then he can face the consequences.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by breako View Post
    If a player is just annoyingly cheeky, one option is to just ignore him and then next time he does anything at a breakdown e.g. not rolling away, comes in from the side - bin him for that. If he wants to draw attention to himself then he can face the consequences.
    I would not recommend that approach. The Yellow card should be for the offence itself.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Potomac Rugby Football Referees Society
    Grade
    C2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I, fortunately, have never had this situation where the 'offending' player who was miles away.

But only last season I had a situation where a try was scored but the last gasp defender put in a tackle that was only 2 inches from being illegal. Clearly the tackler was near the touchdown so I simply called "7 Green - keep the tackles down" after awarding the try.

Unfortunately he didn't listen and received a Yellow 10 minutes later (2016 Laws).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mark.lucas View Post
    I, fortunately, have never had this situation where the 'offending' player who was miles away.

But only last season I had a situation where a try was scored but the last gasp defender put in a tackle that was only 2 inches from being illegal. Clearly the tackler was near the touchdown so I simply called "7 Green - keep the tackles down" after awarding the try.

Unfortunately he didn't listen and received a Yellow 10 minutes later (2016 Laws).
    I could understand warning a defender if you weren't sure of the point of contact or it was 'just' high and you let play flow to gain an advantage, but I don't understand warning a player when you admit their tackle was legal.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by leaguerefaus View Post
    I could understand warning a defender if you weren't sure of the point of contact or it was 'just' high and you let play flow to gain an advantage, but I don't understand warning a player when you admit their tackle was legal.
    I think it is good game management, nothing wrong with warning a player they are close to the line.

I had a situation at the weekend where the same player had been involved in some minor afters with an opposition player 3 times. No offences meriting punishment on any of these occasions, but I warned him to be careful as he was the common denominator.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Silly question i couldn't find the answer for in the laws. If the ref wants to talk to a player to warn him (say he did nothing against the rules, but close enough) and calls him. The player replies "you wanna talk to me, you come here. I'm tired and need to preserve my energy".
    Can that merit a penalty/YC/RC?

Again, the player has done nothing wrong until the ref calls him.
    Firstly, IMO it could merit a sanction depending on the words used and the tone.

But secondly, it's not a situation you should get yourself into. Whether they've done something wrong or not, if you want to have a proper chat with a player, call them to you as you're walking towards them. Such a comment it less likely, it will generally save time and if you plant your feet in the ground and insist the player comes all the way to you you're going to look like a sanctimonious prick (or a dog trainer).

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Cross, I think it is a bit of a silly question - imagine this is in the street and the caller is a police officer. What might be the consequences of "you wanna talk to me, you come here"?

This is not something I would recommend a player to do. I think I would hope a ref would be able to negotiate a suitable exit from such a stalemate, but at the end of the day a sanction against the player would not be totally out of order.

Alasdair
    I don't think u understood the nature of the question in the OP. If a police officer stops me where i live, i am pretty familiar with what he can and what he cannot do. There are things he can ask me to do, but there are quite a few i can legally refuse to comply with. If s/he tells me "show me your bank card and give me your pin" i will say "no" because i am fully aware that i have the right not to do so i will chose to exercise that right.

The question here is precisely whether or not the ref has the authority to do that. You apparently find it silly because the answer to this question seems obvious to you. It is not to me, hence my original post. Since it is obvious to you, i hope you don't mind a follow up question: what part of the laws of the game support your claim?

Just for the sake of clarity, i am not asking what is convenient for you or your team but whether, under the letter of the law, you are (or should be) entitled to refuse to comply. Think of it as a lab scenario.
    There are things a ref is entitled to do/ask for, and there are things he cannot. This one is unclear to me. Again, i understand why players comply (it is in their best interest) but my question is whether they have to or not. Not quite the same thing.

PS: I think i should have phrased the OP differently. I don't want to sound pedantic, but i already explained this is "what if" scenario and was curious about it. If these kind of questions are not welcomed kindly let me know and i'll stop. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

Thread Information