Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    HRV Germany
    Grade
    Regional
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maul / Choke tackle

Tim, i´m with you on that one, however a player might ask: "Never coming out of what Sir?"
    I think you mean: "Ball unplayable. Scrum..."

DocY, as Didds pointed out, in what scenario would an uncontested maul have a positive outcome? I can´t think of any. Except complete incompetence, meaning you know you´re gonna lose possesion anyway.
    Or a "Fun-Law" like no mauls on Tour etc. but those are not representetive.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What do red deserve from this? Nothing, I would suggest as they have failed to keep the ball effectively in play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I could give the full technical answer but almost all players would glaze over, Never coming out covers "unplayable", or I believe 20.4 covers it as well. Either way, I would expect almost every player would go with scrum.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. All helpful and just confirms what I thought.

No maul, so see what happens. When it goes completely static, blow up and call scrum as its unplayable.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    More about trying to retain possession if you recognise one of your players is being choke tackled - if no team mates join, it's not a maul so not a turn over.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a coach.
    If you were a coach, coach the BC to 'covertly' wrap his legs around his opponents legs & drop his weight to try to collapse the 'not-yet-a-tackle or not-yet-a-maul'

Once everyone has fallen over it's now a tackle & they have to roll away from the ball - which has a great tactical advantage to your 7 a-side team because if the ball can then be played quickly then you should now have a significant numerical advantage somewhere else on the pitch to exploit.

When union eventually evolves into League this won't work, instead we'll simply hear 'held'

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Thanks for your comments and thoughts. All helpful and just confirms what I thought.

No maul, so see what happens. When it goes completely static, blow up and call scrum as its unplayable.
    Or outstare it, my bet is that something will happen, especially if one side needs to win !

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Go to www.worldrugby.org and watch some 7s. This happens often enough. The Red BC (grasped by two ops but on his feet) will fight to get a knee on the ground so that it is now a tackle and the referee will call for the tacklers to release the BC and the Red support will now come in to set the ruck.

One way or another this situation will resolve itself pretty quickly. Until a Red joins to form a maul or the red BC gets a knee on the ground we are in general play and there is no need to intervene. Let it breathe.
    Last edited by ChrisR; 28-04-17 at 14:04.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I know they are looking to get the turn over scrum in this situation, but maybe another tactic could be to drive the ball carrier back with 2 or 3 defenders, and then in a coordinated effort let/force the ball carrier go to ground and have 1 or 2 drive over the top, back guy takes the ball.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In1959 the tackle law read as follows:-
    Law 16.
    A tackle occurs when the holder of the ball in the field of play is held by one or more players of the opposing team so that while he is so held the ball comes in contact with the ground, or there is a moment when he cannot pass or play the ball in any other manner.
    (a) When a player is tackled but not brought to the ground, he must immediately release the ball.
    (b) The tackled player, if lying on the ground, must immediately release the ball and roll away from it.
    (c) It is illegal for any player to pre*vent a tackled player from releas*ing the ball, or getting up after he has released it.

This prevented the choke tackle, but then in 1969 the law said "a maul [first defined in 1967] ends a tackle". In 1977 the "standing tackle" was dropped.

The aim of all this was to get play to be more continuous after a tackle. We have the Law of Unintended Consequences writ large.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information