Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Entry in a tackle !!!

My understanding of the original post is that blue didn't put himself in that position. It was incidental to the tackle.

the coaching point relates to the tackled player. if you coach a pure offloading game then it's a risk you take in tight situations.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 10-05-17 at 08:05.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    My understanding of the original post is that he didn't put himself in that position. It was incidental to the tackle.
    OP says
    Blue 13 and Red 13 are coming in from red's side of the tackle
    but either way he is in the wrong place and needs to get himself in the right place. We call this "taking up space". And catching pop passes doesn't cut the mustard either
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding of the original post is that blue didn't put himself in that position. It was incidental to the tackle.

the coaching point relates to the tackled player. if you coach a pure offloading game then it's a risk you take in tight situations.
    He approaches the tackle.

He sees it.

He choses to continue towards the tackle (illegal) OR he choses to go around (legal).

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    He approaches the tackle.

He sees it.

He choses to continue towards the tackle (illegal) OR he choses to go around (legal).
    Hypothetical.

You set out a view that says he sees it and acts accordingly. I suggest it might be incidental.

Some see a reason to ping him because the thing we have is the law. I am trying to find a reason not to ping him and to apply advantage unless there is a solid reason not to.

I am cynical that a player looking to pop a pass in a melee might conceivably try to contrive a penalty by popping up to a player who might just happen to be trying to get there legitimately or is in the vicinity by virtue of the dynamics of the play.

I could certainly envisage a situation where blue might be infringing, e.g, coming across the back of the breakdown so as to cause an obstrcution.

So would really need some footage around a real example.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Let's be realistic. When the BC offloads in a tackle it's going to be immediately, often before he hits the ground (though not in the OP). That doesn't leave any time for the chasing defender to avoid the tackle area.

The onus is on the BC to put the ball in the hands of a teammate. "Accidental offsides" might be a just call but I don't see that supported in law. Otherwise it's "Play on!" for me.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think the solid reason to ping him is that he deliberately played the ball from an offside position - it doesn't matter how he got there - and it's difficult to play advantage when the infringing team are in possession.

If blue 13 is in that position, the best he can do is not catch the ball and hope the referee gives it as accidental offside or decides it's immaterial.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    I think the solid reason to ping him is that he deliberately played the ball from an offside position - it doesn't matter how he got there - and it's difficult to play advantage when the infringing team are in possession.

If blue 13 is in that position, the best he can do is not catch the ball and hope the referee gives it as accidental offside or decides it's immaterial.
    He may have been coming from an offside position but the tackle didn't create an offside line.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that is fair enough from ChuckieB. Though Id have to say that my understanding (which of course may be wrong!) is that an oppo receiving a pop pass such as described within a metre of the tackle is liable to be penalised, so its a small "risk" from my coaching perspective.

didds

- - - Updated - - -

... buit its not "offside" thouhg. its merely not "coming through the gate"

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Look at it this way:

Red BC makes a line break. Blue is chasing. Another Blue defender tackles the Red BC.

If the Red BC offloads before he hits the ground then there is no tackle, no tackle zone so the Blue chaser can't be at fault for catching the offload.

If the Red BC offloads after he hits the ground then a tackle has occurred. The timing difference here is in milliseconds.

No player can process and act in that time frame. Play on.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This implied 1M or coming through the gate is surely in respect of attempting to directly disrupt or play ball and not having as a consequence of having the ball popped to you by an opposition player?

I see this as different to the Chiefs example (when we were looking at tackle only situations a while back) where a player was positively loitering within the 1m zone. He put himself in that position and his presence there was not incidental to the dynamics of the play.

Looking for an offence is the wrong mindset IMO.

As I noted I am picturing a hypothetical situation. Without more visualisation or "information to compute", it is play on for me.

Thread Information