Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

[QUOTE=Decorily;331582]
    Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    Any player may be the receiver but each team may only have one receiver at a lineout.
    Lineout Definitions.

Yes of course there can only be one, but my point was that any player standing between the 5m and 15m lines could potentially be that one.

Also: [LAWS]The receiver is the player in position to catch the ball when lineout players pass or knock the ball back from the /QUOTE]

Yes and he was in position to do so.
    I'll say it again. The player in question was a not a participant so the offside lines apply until the lineout is over.
    Any player can be a receiver - yes but he also has to be a participant.
    If he is not a participant then he cannot be in the position to catch the ball. - Unless of course they pass it 10M!!

It looks as if OB and I posted at the same time.

I think you will find that if OB and I were observing you both of us would note it down as a law error on the report.
    Last edited by Balones; 27-05-17 at 22:05.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Balones;331585]
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post

I'll say it again. The player in question was a not a participant so the offside lines apply until the lineout is over.
    Any player can be a receiver - yes but he also has to be a participant.
    If he is not a participant then he cannot be in the position to catch the ball. - Unless of course they pass it 10M!!

It looks as if OB and I posted at the same time.

I think you will find that if OB and I were observing you both of us would note it down as a law error on the report.
    In which case I would ask you which law?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Had a game recently where at a LO the throwing in side had no apparent receiver ie no player standing in usual position. After the ball was won in the air a player who was standing in the back line between the 5m and 15m lines ran forward and took the ball off the top. It was immediately questioned by oppo calling for off side. I called play on.

Was I correct?
    I am a little confused (I'm old)
    Are you saying that a player, who later claims to be the receiver, stands 10m from the line-of-touch and doesn't move forward until the ball has left the lineout, and then still manages to run forward and catch the ball the jumper has tapped/knocked/passed/jettisoned off the top?

I suppose that technically speaking, as long as the player started to run forward AFTER the jumper passed the ball i.e. the ball has left the lineout and therefore the lineout is over, then any player standing 10m back could run forward and do the same.
    However, for that player in the OP to claim to be the receiver is a stretch and to me is simply not complying with the Laws. He wasn't taking up the position of a receiver before the ball was thrown in and was therefore not a PARTICIPATING PLAYER. As such, he was part of the "Other Players" and his offside line would be 10m back.
    In the scenario in the OP, IMO, the ball must clearly have left the lineout before any of the "other players" moved forward and if they complied with that then that is the explanation you would offer to the opposition at the next stoppage or in the bar etc.
    If the player who caught the ball claimed to be a receiver, then I would want to see him clearly taking up that position before the lineout. A player standing 9.5m back is going to be treated as one of the backs and is going to be managed by either me or my AR as such.
    Last edited by The Fat; 27-05-17 at 22:05.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=OB..;331584]

You are better off sticking with the normal application of the law. It causes much less confusion/irritation.
    I agree......but for the purposes of this discussion I will continue to argue !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Decorily;331586]
    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post

In which case I would ask you which law?
    19.8 - The diagram clearly shows what constitutes a lineout and who are participants and who are not.
    19.15(a) - A player who is not taking part in the lineout is offside if that player oversteps the offside line before the lineout has ended.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    I am a little confused (I'm old)
    Are you saying that a player, who later claims to be the receiver, stands 10m from the line-of-touch and doesn't move forward until the ball has left the lineout, and then still manages to run forward and catch the ball the jumper has tapped/knocked/passed/jettisoned off the top?

I suppose that technically speaking, as long as the player started to run forward AFTER the jumper passed the ball i.e. the ball has left the lineout and therefore the lineout is over, then any player standing 10m back could run forward and do the same.
    However, for that player in the OP to claim to be the receiver is a stretch and to me is simply not complying with the Laws. He wasn't taking up the position of a receiver before the ball was thrown in and was therefore not a PARTICIPATING PLAYER. As such, he was part of the "Other Players" and his offside line would be 10m back.
    In the scenario in the OP, IMO, the ball must clearly have left the lineout before any of the "other players" moved forward and if they complied with that then that is the explanation you would offer to the opposition at the next stoppage or in the bar etc.
    If the player who caught the ball claimed to be a receiver, then I would want to see him clearly taking up that position before the lineout. A player standing 9.5m back is going to be treated as one of the backs and is going to be managed by either me or my AR as such.
    Lineout is not over when player moves forward .

"....not complying with the laws. He wasn't taking up the position of a receiver......."

Which law is he breaching?
    What is the position of a receiver?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Balones;331591]

19.8 - The diagram clearly shows what constitutes a lineout and who are participants and who are not.
    19.15(a) - A player who is not taking part in the lineout is offside if that player oversteps the offside line before the lineout has ended.
    19.8 (i) states....."at least 2 metres ".
    Does 5, 8 ,9.5m or indeed 12m not satisfy this requirement?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Decorily;331593]
    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post

19.8 (i) states....."at least 2 metres ".
    Does 5, 8 ,9.5m or indeed 12m not satisfy this requirement?
    The diagram clearly shows that anyone back beyond 10M is a non-participant.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me once the player goes 10 mtrs back he aint no receiver. To be a receiver you must be positioned to RECEIVE the ball if it is KNOCKED back from the LO. A pass 10? Fair enough but Knocked? Sorry he's not there for that.

From the definitionsReceiver. The receiver is the player in position to catch the ball when lineout
    players pass or knock the ball back from the lineout. Any player may be the
    receiver but each team may have only one receiver at a lineout.

It is beyond the relms of common sense t obe in a position to be reciveing the ball in the 10 position. Sorry I just don't buy your position at all.

I woudl expect the recieve rto be between 2 and 5 mtrs away I'd not be too picky about it but once he gets to around 9 or 10 then my radar is going to put him in the non participating players and he's back 10 until the LO is over.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Also from definitions -
    Players taking part in the lineout known as participating players. Players taking part in the lineout are the player who throws-in and an immediate opponent, the two players waiting to receive the ball from the lineout and the lineout players. To receive the ball you have to be close to the lineout.
    All other players. All other players who are not taking part in the lineout must be at least 10 metres behind the line of touch, on or behind their goal line if that is nearer, until the lineout ends. The law makers have provided a diagram and indicated by this sentence that non-participants are beyond 10M

Thread Information