Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Receiver position at LO.

      
  1. #31
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    389
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    [QUOTE=Balones;331594]
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post

    The diagram clearly shows that anyone back beyond 10M is a non-participant.
    Not really..... it only clearly shows the offside line for non participants.

  2. #32

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    551
    Thanks (Received)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    134

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    [QUOTE=Decorily;331589]
    Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post

    I agree......but for the purposes of this discussion I will continue to argue !
    Just face it - you are wrong. Either accept it or start the process of changing or clarifying the laws by writing to the RFU. (Or the appropriate governing body if you are not based in RFU land.)

  3. #33
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    389
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    So let's look at a 5m LO. The OS line is now only 5m. Is it reasonable to allow the receiver to stand in line with the non participating players?

  4. #34

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    551
    Thanks (Received)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    134

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    So let's look at a 5m LO. The OS line is now only 5m. Is it reasonable to allow the receiver to stand in line with the non participating players?
    Yes.
    From five metres anyone could come forward to get the ball if it is passed off the top because it has left the lineout. This distance is just about possible.

    The real crux of this argument is that it is impossible to take the ball "off the top", as you put it, from beyond 10M because it is physically impossible. If the ball is knocked back forcibly and travels a reasonable distance then of course anyone can come forward and take it because the lineout if over. We can have the situation then where the ball is travelling one way and a player towards it.
    By 'off the top' I assume you mean directly to the receiver's hands.

  5. #35

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    800
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    139

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    So let's look at a 5m LO. The OS line is now only 5m. Is it reasonable to allow the receiver to stand in line with the non participating players?
    If I could not identify who the receiver was I will be checking verbally before the LO is taken, and (if one owns up) suggesting that he stands just in front of the GL so that there is no room for error. I am not going to allow them to decide who is the receiver from 2 or more standing on the GL between 5 and 15m only when the ball is about to come off the top of the LO.
    Last edited by chbg; 27-05-17 at 23:05.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  6. #36
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    389
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post

    By 'off the top' I assume you mean directly to the receiver's hands.
    Yes...

  7. #37
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    389
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Isn't the receiver entitled to take a step or two forward/any direction before he catches the ball and before the ball is passed from the LO?

  8. #38

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    800
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    139

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Isn't the receiver entitled to take a step or two forward/any direction before he catches the ball and before the ball is passed from the LO?
    Which is why you need to know who is in that position beforehand.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  9. #39
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    965
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    98
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Yes.
    From five metres anyone could come forward to get the ball if it is passed off the top because it has left the lineout. This distance is just about possible.

    The real crux of this argument is that it is impossible to take the ball "off the top", as you put it, from beyond 10M because it is physically impossible. If the ball is knocked back forcibly and travels a reasonable distance then of course anyone can come forward and take it because the lineout if over. We can have the situation then where the ball is travelling one way and a player towards it.
    By 'off the top' I assume you mean directly to the receiver's hands.
    i have been noting some examples in SR where the supported player is being held longer and longer. He is able to better pick his throw off the top in the direction of the receiver who is able to stand so much deeper. A delayed throw seems to disrupt the organisation of the defending team. Whether it's 10m is debatable but no reason to suppose the impossible will not eventually become possible, certainly at these levels of the game.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 28-05-17 at 01:05.

  10. #40

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,073
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    389

    Default Re: Receiver position at LO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Lineout is not over when player moves forward .

    "....not complying with the laws. He wasn't taking up the position of a receiver......."

    Which law is he breaching?
    What is the position of a receiver?
    Lineout is not over when player moves forward .
    In that case he is offside. If he starts behind the 10m offside line, how is the referee to know he is the Receiver and not just one of the "other players"?
    If he starts behind the 10m offside line, he is not a Receiver.


    Which law is he breaching?
    19.8(i)

    What is the position of a receiver?
    DEFINITIONS paragraph 3 and 19.8(i)

    But I know why you asked those questions so I know you have already checked the Law references.
    The Laws state that the Receiver must stand a minimum of 2m back from his team mates in the lineout and "is the player in position to catch the ball when lineout players pass or knock the ball back from the lineout".
    Being 10m back is not in a position to catch a ball that is passed or knocked by a jumper.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •