Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Potential Head Injury

U-19 Girls Match, competition rules cap score at 40 point lead, after this normal substitution laws are suspended.

After (another) try is scored, Blue 7, is squatted down, both hands holding her head, eyes are bloodshot and glassy. As AR I alert referee and get the trainer on to check her out, she leaves the field, is in the medical tent for 25 minutes, and is cleared by the medical professionals, no head injury according to them.

Since we are now in a rolling subs situation, would you allow B7 back on the pitch?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Potential Head Injury

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    U-19 Girls Match, competition rules cap score at 40 point lead, after this normal substitution laws are suspended.

After (another) try is scored, Blue 7, is squatted down, both hands holding her head, eyes are bloodshot and glassy. As AR I alert referee and get the trainer on to check her out, she leaves the field, is in the medical tent for 25 minutes, and is cleared by the medical professionals, no head injury according to them.

Since we are now in a rolling subs situation, would you allow B7 back on the pitch?
    Do you consider that at the time of the injury (or subsequently) she displayed signs of concussion (See HERE).
    If yes, then you are well within your rights (and encouraged) to refuse to let her back on.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats for noticing and taking action but it's a tough decision re. letting her return. She had been cleared to play by a certified (???) medical professional and you don't know what the issue is or why she spent time under supervision. I think I'd like to know these things before I just agreed to her playing again.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Suggestion:

When a Medical Professional sanctions the player as being 'Fit to Return to Play', they should evidence the same by giving the referee a signed personal business card [or a similar production] with the players name / number / club.

The referee can then keep it and produce it if/when needed.

If the MedPro won't sign such a thing, then he hasn't taken Professional Ownership in which case the decision remains with the referee.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If I suspect she has concussion at the time of her leaving the field she is not coming back on. Medical opinion or not. HIA does not apply at that level (here in Wales anyway).

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think anyone should be allowed to return if medical treatment took 25 mins. HIA (and like Wales not done in Scotland below professional game) needs to be done in 10 mins as does blood substitution.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If it was me, I would advise the coach - when she is removed from the pitch for medical assistance - that she is not returning to play as IMO it would be unsafe for her so to do and player welfare on the pitch is my responsibility

Tough call and I can imagine quite a few coaches baulking at the suggestion.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't let here back on.
    If the coach insisted I'd tell him I wouldn't be continuing
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"The Trainer" isn't presumably a qualified doctor. In this area your direct observation of her immediately on the field trumps his 25m overview, by which time she could have shaken the signs off; that doesn't mean she wasn't concussed.

Every referee society would back you 100% if you said she shouldn't play. And I think there are referees on here who have the anecdotes to back that play
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required BikerRef's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Referee Society of NY
    Grade
    USAR C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VM75 View Post
    Suggestion:

When a Medical Professional sanctions the player as being 'Fit to Return to Play', they should evidence the same by giving the referee a signed personal business card [or a similar production] with the players name / number / club.

The referee can then keep it and produce it if/when needed.

If the MedPro won't sign such a thing, then he hasn't taken Professional Ownership in which case the decision remains with the referee.
    I like this approach. USA Rugby doesn't allow a HIA at any level in the US except International Test matches. The stated directives allow for an MD to assess. If they diagnose a concussion, there is no return to play allowed. If the sideline diagnosis by an MD is no concussion, I'd want it in writing before considering allowing a return.
    Last edited by BikerRef; 05-06-17 at 23:06.
    "A good ship, a fine cigar and three fingers of scotch will almost always cure what ails ya'." -Aunt Annie D at 102 (+/-) years old.

Thread Information