Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Potential Head Injury

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Hope the bloody school got reported too. They need to be involved in the entire GRTP process. Including INITIATING it.

We've had ... issues... around this area .

FFS.

didds
    Don't... some years ago when I was coaching junior rugby, a couple of players from our team went to a local private school, who were always really shitty about their pupils playing for us. One week, just before a county cup QF the head coach had a phone call from the school advising us that one player had sustained a concussion in training so would DEFINITELY not be available that weekend. a quick phone call to the parents resulted in mystification from them as little Johnny was fine and they'd certainly not been told of any injury during training.

Saturday morning arrived and at 7am I had a phone call from another ref asking if I'd step in for him as a family emergency meant he wasn't able to take the match... at this school... Not a problem. I turned up and did the brief, checked studs and everything else as per normal...

Both teams took to the pitch and as the match was about to kick off I stopped, called the coach on and instructed him to remove his fly half as he'd been reported suffering a concussion on the Wednesday and there was no way he was playing.

Who told you that blustered the coach... You did when you rang me and the head coach to say he wasn't available for the club tomorrow. You said concussion so he's not allowed to play.

Hoist on your own petard...

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    QRRA- Brisbane
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Blue cards will be raising awareness on this. Many comps say only at premier level can a SUSPECTED concussion have a field side test and be allowed back on. In all other cases player is done for the game. If at the time a concussion is NOT diagnosed, they can play in next game, not that same one.

With respect to diagnosis. A near blind, left handed, orangutan can make the call. There are good simple questions that if failed tick a box and diagnosis is made. It is disingenuous to assume only a doctor can do this. Diagnosis is BEST done at pitch side. It aids the lack of symptoms at time of review confusing the diagnosis later. (If you wish to challenge me on this, please consider that I know what I'm talking about; I am an emergency medicine doctor and work closely with several local hospitals about had injury management.)

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    U-19 Girls Match, competition rules cap score at 40 point lead, after this normal substitution laws are suspended.

After (another) try is scored, Blue 7, is squatted down, both hands holding her head, eyes are bloodshot and glassy. As AR I alert referee and get the trainer on to check her out, she leaves the field, is in the medical tent for 25 minutes, and is cleared by the medical professionals, no head injury according to them.

Since we are now in a rolling subs situation, would you allow B7 back on the pitch?
    My son and daughter were both concussed while playing at University (and I was assistant coach when my son was concussed), and have been concussed myself during playing days. I take a pretty hard line on head injuries. My son even lobbied to go back on, saying he was fine...and then couldn't remember arguing with me about it 30 minutes later.

No matter what the age, no matter what the level of play, no matter what the stakes (International, club championship, hated rival), it's not worth it. I've told captains/coaches - "That's it, his/her day is done. Make sure someone looks after them for at least a couple of hours."

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    RugbyWA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pita View Post
    Blue cards will be raising awareness on this. Many comps say only at premier level can a SUSPECTED concussion have a field side test and be allowed back on. In all other cases player is done for the game. If at the time a concussion is NOT diagnosed, they can play in next game, not that same one.

With respect to diagnosis. A near blind, left handed, orangutan can make the call. There are good simple questions that if failed tick a box and diagnosis is made. It is disingenuous to assume only a doctor can do this. Diagnosis is BEST done at pitch side. It aids the lack of symptoms at time of review confusing the diagnosis later. (If you wish to challenge me on this, please consider that I know what I'm talking about; I am an emergency medicine doctor and work closely with several local hospitals about had injury management.)
    We had this clarified at our association, only an ARU appointed doctor can conduct a HIA and allow a player back onto he field. From NRC down these do not exist at matches so if there is a suspicion of head injury the player goes off for the remainder of the game. The referee has the final say in this mater and can overrule a medical professional if they are concerned for the players welfare.

Thread Information