Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sneaky QTI

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    c.13 seconds to throw the ball in!! Maybe longer - the ball's in the hookers hands when the camera cuts to the LO. It wouldn't have worked if I was refereeing either - we'd be having a FK before that.
    It wasn't just me thinking "Come on" then.

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Anybody else notice this nicely sneaky QTI "move" last saturday by the MAB? They did it twice (not sure when the other instance is) so I do think its pre-planned, or at least pre-considered. Smart play. Good thinking.
    Now that the BIL have seen the plot in action, it is easily countered just by a BIL player putting his foot on the ball.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't suppose it will have gone unnoticed by some teams other than the BIL.

but it may have gone unnoticed by the opponents of the teams that have noticed it.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I don't suppose it will have gone unnoticed by some teams other than the BIL.

but it may have gone unnoticed by the opponents of the teams that have noticed it.

didds
    Are you Donald Rumsfelt?
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think we are all agreed that there is some sort of time limit for a QTI. Probably not completely fixed as context will matter, but the Q in QTI is important, they can't wait forever.

Another Law question though - if it is done quickly - is it allowed to retrieve the ball, put it down, and then pick it up again and perform a QTI ? Or does putting it down signify that a full lineout has been chosen

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Indeed, but rarely by international teams.
    True. And how sad it is that it is true. In the North we tend to coach all the ideas out of players and end up with robots. Often the SH label the nor as lumbering boring players and yet, at the grassroots, we have plenty of flair. Flair just waiting for a "good" coahc to remove on the way to the top.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

but perhaps we are seeing the return of unexpected/confusion plays -- viz Italy in the 6N as an example.

I have an impression that I have seen a lot more unusual kick offs at top level recently (sudden and disguised change in direction, a low, hard kick aimed directly at a prop 10m away, expecting a knock on, grubber kicks --- that sort of thing)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It must be hoped that you are right. Sadly we a stuck with "WarrenBall". Which is why we actually have plenty of empty seats in the Millstone Stadium even for Wales V All Black games. Boring beyond belief!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think we are all agreed that there is some sort of time limit for a QTI. Probably not completely fixed as context will matter, but the Q in QTI is important, they can't wait forever.

Another Law question though - if it is done quickly - is it allowed to retrieve the ball, put it down, and then pick it up again and perform a QTI ? Or does putting it down signify that a full lineout has been chosen
    As far as I can see there is nothing in the laws which prevents this.

I'm all for this sort of tactic. Anything that keeps the ball in play more is good in my books (although a lot of times they just throw long to the FB in the middle of the park who boots it out again!).

Still get loads of complaints in games I referee about taking a lineout after it's been 'marked'. I get tired of explaining lineout law and just ignore them, play on!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The ONLY Law that limits when a QTI is taken is

Law 19.2 (c) A player must not take a quick throw-in after the lineout has formed

If you disallow a QTI when a line-out has not yet formed, then you are making up your own Laws

If you consider that either team has unduly delayed forming a line out for any reason (for example, so that they can operate a subterfuge), then you only have two options in Law, both of them are FK;

Law 19.8 (g) Failure to form a lineout. A team must not voluntarily fail to form a lineout.

Law 10.2 (b) Time-wasting. A player must not intentionally waste time.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

... Another Law question though - if it is done quickly - is it allowed to retrieve the ball, put it down, and then pick it up again and perform a QTI ? Or does putting it down signify that a full lineout has been chosen
    I can't see anything that prevents a player putting the ball down and picking it up again.

but perhaps we are seeing the return of unexpected/confusion plays -- viz Italy in the 6N as an example.
    I for one hope you're right. It makes players think about the laws and adds a bit of excitement.

Thread Information