Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: haka

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    ... Do you realize that an indigenous NRL all star team is discriminatory and racist?
    Where I come from it's called positive discrimination, and I think we need more of it.

If the IRFU can do their bit to bridge the political divide on my tiny island, I don't see why the ARU couldn't try to bridge the cultural chasm on their Ginormous island. I do understand it is for them easier to do nothing. This is not intended to be a provocative post, we can heal divisions thru' sport, if we dare to try.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 23:08.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    New Zealanders show case Maori culture with their Haka, even though the majority of players tend to be white.
    would it be Ok for the players to add a bit more authenticity and put on some skin dye to appear more Maori-like?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: haka

More chance of people taking offense if you go that route.

However, NRL indigenous welfare manager*Dean Widders is now working*on a campaign to convince the game's heirarchy of the merits of the Australian team having its own war dance, along with players, coaches and administrators.

Unlike the Stradbroke*Island dance that was performed by the Kangaroos whenever they played overseas from 1908 until being abandoned in 1973, Widders wants the new version*to represent non-indigenous players as well as the 60-plus Aboriginal players who comprise 12 per cent of NRL talent and are spread across all 16 clubs.

Source

I wonder what percentage of Rugby Union players in Oz have indigenous origins?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Census
    Indigenous Australians are now estimated to represent 3.3% of the total Australian population,
    ...with a bit of positive discrimination, that could be 5% which is 1 out of every 20 players, to be representative of society as a whole. With 87000 registered members, that'd mean recruiting 3 to 4 thousand Indigenous Australians.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 06:08.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

60-plus Aboriginal players who comprise 12 per cent of NRL talent and are spread across all 16 clubs.

Originally Posted by 2016 Census

Indigenous Australians are now estimated to represent 3.3% of the total Australian population,
    If the total population is 3.3%, and current participation is 12%, the NRL should be positively discriminating to cut back on indigenous in favour of some other under-represented group.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I think there's a rally in Charlottesville going on right now that's missing its prize idiot....Did you miss the flight?
    Simon

I expect to find rampant racism and bigotry on Planet Rugby, but never expected to see it here. How sad!
    George Washington is the President who cannot tell a lie
    Richard Nixon is the President who cannot tell the truth
    Donald Trump is the President who cannot tell the difference

- Mark Shields, PBS News Hour

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Because having a bunch of white people doing an Aboriginal war dance would be seen as racist due to the history of Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    would it be Ok for the players to add a bit more authenticity and put on some skin dye to appear more Maori-like?

Its not needed, because Kapa Haka is race and colour blind.

Furthermore, it is Nationality Blind.

This Kapa Haka group contains 56 members... 48 of them are foreign students, from many countries including Germany, Ireland, Sweden and the USA

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/93191536/International-students-perform-kapa-haka-after-studying-in-the-dark

Most Australians see Aboriginals as "them" and themselves as "us"

Most New Zealanders see all New Zealanders as "us"
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 08:08.
    George Washington is the President who cannot tell a lie
    Richard Nixon is the President who cannot tell the truth
    Donald Trump is the President who cannot tell the difference

- Mark Shields, PBS News Hour

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    If the total population is 3.3%, and current participation is 12%, the NRL should be positively discriminating to cut back on indigenous in favour of some other under-represented group.
    I was speaking about Rugby Union, I think League and Aussies rules football are making a genuine effort to make their codes of football more accessible to a wider public. Perhaps you'd like to see a Muslim women's team set up?

It's not even sure that Indigenous kids would want to join if given the opportunity.
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Part of the issue is that indigenous Australians aren't one uniform group. They come from a wide range of different people's with different languages, different dreamtime stories, different animal totems and different dances. It's like saying Indian sports teams should have a national dance even though Tamils and Sikhs have nothing in common
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 1 Week Ago at 09:08.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The aboriginal people have one flag, I am sure they will be okay about being coached in English. The Indian comparison doesn't hold up as Sikhs burn the Indian national flag. Tamils have their own flag.

The article linked in my #17 highlights some of the difficulties
    Australian rugby’s colour problem is complicated. About half of the current Wallabies squad is of Pacific Islander heritage. But Beale is the only Indigenous player and history shows this is not an outlier era.

To be sure, the Lloyd McDermott Foundation does good work in fostering Aboriginal rugby talent, but clearly much more needs to be done. Rightly or wrongly, rugby has an image problem. To working class and disadvantaged kids it seems exclusive, a game for toffs. This is a perception that needs to change.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 09:08.
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Part of the issue is that indigenous Australians aren't one uniform group. They come from a wide range of different people's with different languages, different dreamtime stories, different animal totems and different dances. It's like saying Indian sports teams should have a national dance even though Tamils and Sikhs have nothing in common
    The aboriginal people have one flag, I am sure they will be okay about being coached in English. The Indian comparison doesn't hold up as Sikhs burn the Indian national flag. Tamils have their own flag.
    I was talking about the issue of an Australian 'haka'. Which aboriginal language would it be in, which symbology would it use? And last time I looked Tamils, Sikhs, Bengalis etc all played in the Indian cricket team

Thread Information