Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick throw in

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    What if the non-throwing #10, recognising that the QTI is still on eventhough the lineout is 95% formed, exercises his rights and goes and stands next to his opposite number to defend the QTI? What are his options if the lineout does eventually form and what should the referee do?
    Its moot

If the lineout is 95% formed then there must be at least two players from each team at the LoT (2 + 1 would be 75%; even in the extremely unlikely event of 8+1, its only 89%), so the QTi is off anyway.

How many angels would you like to cram onto that pinhead just so that you can attempt to gainsay my point?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 28-08-17 at 00:08.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Its moot

If the lineout is 95% formed then there must be at least two players from each team at the LoT (2 + 1 would be 75%; even in the extremely unlikely event of 8+1, its only 89%), so the QTi is off anyway.

How many angels would you like to cram onto that pinhead just so that you can attempt to gainsay my point?
    I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse so I'll give you benefit of doubt.

NON-THROWING LINEOUT PLAYERS form up on line of touch (see that all the time)
    THROWING HOOKER is ready with ball in hand on line of touch with both feet outside field of play (see that all the time)
    BACKS FROM BOTH TEAMS are in their regular positions 10 metres from line of touch (see that all the time)
    THROWING LINEOUT PLAYERS move, without delay, towards line of touch (see that all the time)

Questions/comments:
    1. can the THROWING HOOKER take a QTI by throwing ball to his #10 prior to the THROWING LINEOUT PLAYERS reaching line of touch?
    2. if yes, how can the NON-THROWING TEAM defend against this?
    3. if they can't defend against this, then we have an inequitable situation as described by others
    4. how is a plausible situation such as this an "angels on pinhead" situation?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

THROWING HOOKER is ready with ball in hand on line of touch with both feet outside field of play (see that all the time)
    BACKS FROM BOTH TEAMS are in their regular positions 10 metres from line of touch (see that all the time)
    If the hooker is standing with ball in hand, and he is not the player who retrieved the opponent's kick to touch, or was not the player who took the ball from the opponent who carried the ball into touch, then the QTi is off anyway.

Perhaps you can explain to me how this situation could have arisen, because I find it quite unlikely that this scenario could even come about.

1. The hooker would need to be the player entitled to take a QTi, and

2. All of the non throwing team would need to willingly line up at the LoT, all way ahead of any of the opposing players, and

3. The non-throwers don't set the numbers at the lineout, so why would they all be lined up without knowing how many of them actually needed/were going to be allowed top be there.

Can you see why I think this is an angels on pinheads scenario?. It would require all the non-throwing line-out forward to be asleep/unaware/stupid. Take your pick.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the hooker is standing with ball in hand, and he is not the player who retrieved the opponent's kick to touch, or was not the player who took the ball from the opponent who carried the ball into touch, then the QTi is off anyway.
    that point certainly makes the scenario less likely
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    There are some tools, but it seems to me too biased in favour of the throwing team, who can wait and wait and then still take a "quick" throw a long time after the ball has gone into touch, at any time it is most advantageous to them. .
    what is the actual problem with that? If the oppo have taken so bloody long to get to the LoT then its hardly anybody's fault than their own, IF they have a problem with it.

It gets the game going again without wasting more time waiting for the other side to dawdle into place. ( And then maybe not compete the throw anyway.... )

It ain't broke. It doesn't need fixing.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse so I'll give you benefit of doubt.

THROWING LINEOUT PLAYERS move, without delay, towards line of touch (see that all the time)

Questions/comments:
    1. can the THROWING HOOKER take a QTI by throwing ball to his #10 prior to the THROWING LINEOUT PLAYERS reaching line of touch?
    2. if yes, how can the NON-THROWING TEAM defend against this?
    3. if they can't defend against this, then we have an inequitable situation as described by others
    4. how is a plausible situation such as this an "angels on pinhead" situation?
    Maybe when we see it several times a game every game its a problem.

But otherwise isn't this where the standard response is "manage it"?

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Did you actually read what I posted, because I addressed this exact scenario? If they wait and wait... PING THEM!!! Use Law 19.8 (d)

Again, did you actually read my reply to crossref? Again, it addresses this exact scenario.

If your suggestion is followed through, then we might as well just remove the QTi from the book. On every occasion the ball goes into touch where an opponent of the kicker doesn't actually catch the ball in touch, close to the touchline (which doesn't happen very often), the non throwing team will be able to rush two players to the LoT and stop the QTi before any member of the throwing team can even get to the ball, let alone have the chance to throw it.

If you don't want to use the tools in the laws, you can't blame the Laws for the situation you find yourself in.
    will you please calm down. I'm here to discuss and debate, not be patronised and have aggression in my face. Take a look at yourself and how you respond to people. Nothing wrong with your arguments, but your tone is appalling.

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

will you please calm down. I'm here to discuss and debate, not be patronised and have aggression in my face. Take a look at yourself and how you respond to people. Nothing wrong with your arguments, but your tone is appalling.
    couldn't agree more. This sort of attitude is one of the reasons I don't frequent this forum very often anymore.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever mate. It was quite obvious from what you posted that you did not read what I said. What am I suppose to do, just keep repeating and repeating the same stuff over and over.

Sometimes, posting on this forum, I feel like I'm bashing my head against the side of a tank!
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever mate. It was quite obvious from what you posted that you did not read what I said. What am I suppose to do, just keep repeating and repeating the same stuff over and over.

Sometimes, posting on this forum, I feel like I'm bashing my head against the side of a tank!
    Give it a go, might knock some politeness into you, hopefully some empathy too.

Thread Information