Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Forum Behaviour

I'm not sure people do notice likes or dislikes - or maybe its just me?

Or of course maybe I get neither!

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, in case anyone doesn't know if you click My Profile , at the top right, and then choose the Posts Thanks/Like button, you can see a tidy list of them all (those you have made as well as those received)

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Could I summarise by saying that many posters perceive one or more problems in the conduct of the forum, but the considered view of the mods is that there is nothing that the moderators as a group can or should or are willing do about it ?

Which is really where I started in post 1

In the absence of any moderator action my proposal is community action .. that going forward we use the DISLIKE button NOT to disagree with the argument made, but to indicate that (for whatever reason) you feel the post is detrimental to the quality of debate on the forum.

So dislike perhaps because it's rude , or perhaps because you think the poster is riding a hobby horse or whatever you think is damaging to the forum.

Peer pressure does generally work, I think that people will notice the dislikes they get. Anyway it won't hurt to give it a try
    "dislikes" have no impact on the poster. They don't affect the poster's "likes" count or their "thanks" count.

I use "likes" and "dislikes" to indicate agreement or disagreement with what has been posted, and "thanks" where a post has supported my viewpoint or helped me to understand something.

However, other than that, I'd say fill your boots. Use "dislikes" however you like (no pun intended) if it makes you feel better.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Could I summarise by saying that many posters perceive one or more problems in the conduct of the forum, but the considered view of the mods is that there is nothing that the moderators as a group can or should or are willing do about it ?

In the absence of any moderator action my proposal is community action .. that going forward we use the DISLIKE button NOT to disagree with the argument made, but to indicate that (for whatever reason) you feel the post is detrimental to the quality of debate on the forum.

So dislike perhaps because it's rude , or perhaps because you think the poster is riding a hobby horse or whatever you think is damaging to the forum.

Peer pressure does generally work, I think that people will notice the dislikes they get. Anyway it won't hurt to give it a try

I'd say that if a poster has a problem with another poster, after due reflection, they report the poster. IF the mods agree there is a problem they will act. IF they do not agree they will not take action. If they act the complainer can feel vindicated and it is possible the "guilty" party may "reconsider their ways". However, if the mods disagree, perhaps the complainer needs to re-think their tolerance levels. Of course, it would help if the mods explained to the complainer why their complaint was not being upheld.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I'd say that if a poster has a problem with another poster, after due reflection, they report the poster. IF the mods agree there is a problem they will act. IF they do not agree they will not take action. If they act the complainer can feel vindicated and it is possible the "guilty" party may "reconsider their ways". However, if the mods disagree, perhaps the complainer needs to re-think their tolerance levels. Of course, it would help if the mods explained to the complainer why their complaint was not being upheld.
    Moderators get reported posts from time to time, they are not very frequent.
    I always look at them, but many times the report is vague as in "I don't like this post" or "I don't think this is fair". Mostly it is subjective.
    It is very rare to get a reported post that we have to remove, for many reasons that have been mentioned in this thread.
    If I remove a post I let everyone concerned know why.
    I don't reply to the reports mentioned in line 2 because it just ends up in a tit for tat discussion that goes no where, and to be honest I have better things to do. If it crosses the line it will be dealt with, but we all have different ideas on where the line is.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

just to echo Phil's post. I read every Mod email reporting a post (very infrequent event), and if necessary take appropriate action or discuss with other Mods.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I unswerstand that you don't wish to get in to a discussion. However, could there not be a simplr reply to the person reporting. along the lines of:

Thank you for your post report we have / not upheld your complaint and taken apprpriate action. The matter is now closed." Just so people know that have been listend to?

Thread Information