Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Forum Behaviour

      
  1. #61

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,308
    Thanks (Received)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    1496

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    There is a fine difference, but a difference nonetheless, between "that's a dumb idea" and "you're dumb". The first, to my mind, is just about OK; it's the idea that's being attacked. As I tell people at work - smart people can make dumb statements, it doesn't make them dumb. "You're dumb" is ad hominem and probably just over the other side of the line. People, in my general life experience, conflate the two statement.
    I am a regular poster and contributor on a number of critical thinking and skeptical debate forums and blogs (my interests don't just cover rugby; they include astrophysics and other sciences, technology, the wrongfully convicted, politics and my favourite, the debunking of stupid conspiracy theories such as the belief that the Apollo moon landings were faked, and that the Holocaust never happened.

    On every single one of them, you pretty quickly learn about the hundreds of logical fallacies such as Argumentum ad Ignorantiam, Strawman Arguments and Texas Sharpshooter Fallacies. This understanding is somewhat lacking among the members here.

    In the case of those two mentioned by Simon above, if you post the first, its perfectly acceptable because you are "attacking the argument"; a legitimate part of debate. However, other members will expect you to justify why you think its a dumb idea. The second is an Ad Hominem, you are "attacking the person", not the argument. Its not acceptable even with an explanation.

    Some might see little difference between them. Frankly, if they cannot understand the difference between being told they are stupid, and being told that their idea is stupid, then that is something they are going to have to learn.

    Ill finish by saying this. I am usually direct and blunt in what I post, no tiptoeing around. Its WYSIWYG, others will always know exactly what my position or view is and where they stand with me. I like it that way because it leaves less room for speculation and misunderstanding. Now, anyone who doesn't like my opinion, my views, my directness or what I post doesn't have to read me. I'll give them the same advice I give to people who complain about certain programmes on the television... it comes equipped with a mute button, a channel change button and an off button... you choose which one you want to use. If you just don't read me, this will be of mutual benefit; you won't have to take umbrage at what I post, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you..... simples!

    ETA: Just a thought. I would object if a poster told another poster that they had asked a "stupid question", even though its not a direct attack on the person, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question... questions are the first steps on the path to knowledge and understanding.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-09-17 at 21:09.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  2. #62

    Referees in America
    Not Kurt Weaver's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Join Date
    11 Sep 08
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    110
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Here is some critical thought

    What is the differences between an Astrophysicist and God?

    - - - Updated - - -

    God knows he/she is not an astrophysicist.

  3. #63

    Referees in America
    Not Kurt Weaver's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Join Date
    11 Sep 08
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    110
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    If you are an atheist

    What is the difference between an Astrophysicist and a Moron

    - - - Updated - - -

    The Moron knows he is not God.

  4. #64

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,414
    Thanks (Received)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    1316

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Now, anyone who doesn't like my opinion, my views, my directness or what I post doesn't have to read me.
    and go too far and no-one will have to read you cos you'll get moderated
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  5. #65

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,308
    Thanks (Received)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    1496

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    and go too far and no-one will have to read you cos you'll get moderated
    No-one here gets moderated for their opinions.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  6. #66

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,414
    Thanks (Received)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    1316

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    If a poster says "I think red is a nicer colour than blue" then no problem.

    If a poster says "I know red is a nicer colour than blue and anyone who disagrees with me has got a burr up their arse" then they may/should be moderated.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  7. #67

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,308
    Thanks (Received)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    1496

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    If a poster says "I think red is a nicer colour than blue" then no problem.

    If a poster says "I know red is a nicer colour than blue and anyone who disagrees with me has got a burr up their arse" then they may/should be moderated.
    That is still not an Ad Hominem attack on a poster

    BTW, you are completely misrepresenting both the context and the characterisation of how that phrase was used.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  8. #68
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Join Date
    03 Sep 14
    Posts
    3,330
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    507

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

    ETA: Just a thought. I would object if a poster told another poster that they had asked a "stupid question", even though its not a direct attack on the person, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question... questions are the first steps on the path to knowledge and understanding.
    However, when the same question keeps coming up regularly from the same poster with, sometimes, very slight variation seemingly because the poster wants to make a point that the forum has debated fully and concluded yet a poster drags it back up a week or so later. Starts to make you feel it is a stupid question or simple trouble making (as the poster doers know the answer.) I'm not including different posters asking the sme question as they may not have seen / remembered the original debate) OR where a call made in a TV game appears to contradict the commonly held "truth".

  9. #69

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,308
    Thanks (Received)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    1496

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    However, when the same question keeps coming up regularly from the same poster with, sometimes, very slight variation seemingly because the poster wants to make a point that the forum has debated fully and concluded yet a poster drags it back up a week or so later. Starts to make you feel it is a stupid question or simple trouble making (as the poster doers know the answer.) I'm not including different posters asking the sme question as they may not have seen / remembered the original debate) OR where a call made in a TV game appears to contradict the commonly held "truth".
    Agree.

    I was thinking more of the case of a relatively new poster asking something that for some of us, might seem very basic.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  10. #70

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks (Received)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    1747

    Default Re: Forum Behaviour

    Could I summarise by saying that many posters perceive one or more problems in the conduct of the forum, but the considered view of the mods is that there is nothing that the moderators as a group can or should or are willing do about it ?

    Which is really where I started in post 1

    In the absence of any moderator action my proposal is community action .. that going forward we use the DISLIKE button NOT to disagree with the argument made, but to indicate that (for whatever reason) you feel the post is detrimental to the quality of debate on the forum.

    So dislike perhaps because it's rude , or perhaps because you think the poster is riding a hobby horse or whatever you think is damaging to the forum.

    Peer pressure does generally work, I think that people will notice the dislikes they get. Anyway it won't hurt to give it a try

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •