Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: no signal from referee

Quote Originally Posted by Nigib View Post
    Previously, the SH had to wait for a tap if on same side, or a clear signal if on the other - this gave me the flexibility to let the scrum settle before moving to the next phase, regardless of how close I was to the scrum itself. I feel it was safer than the new approach, as my focus was on the scrum, then the SH - now I have to be aware of both. Not having this clear step I can see the potential for arbitrary calls on the SH delaying or early engage. I'll reserve full judgement until after I've done a few games.
    You misunderstood me Nige. Before the ref did the tap on the side/nod/verbal "now 9" or whatever none of that happened at all. It wsn;t that long ago!

Which sounds remarkably like what we have now. so why is it now a problem but before wasn't?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    You misunderstood me Nige. Before the ref did the tap on the side/nod/verbal "now 9" or whatever none of that happened at all. It wsn;t that long ago!

Which sounds remarkably like what we have now. so why is it now a problem but before wasn't?

didds
    You're right Didds, I was just going back one set of orders from on high. Perhaps I've just got used to the control as a safety assurance thing - no doubt I'll loosen the reins soon :-)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    ^^^^^ Yes.

But tthree questions:

Did you stand at the tunnel or let him? I Let him

Did he feed it at 'set' and, if he did, was that OK with you? No, after Set not "on" it.

Was there any discussion/disagreement on what was 'stable'? No
    msfmsf

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

we had our society briefings yesterday -- the question of when you should/shouldn't stand in the tunnel didn't really come up, but the general thrust from the presenter was
    - some part of the responsibility for ensuring that the scrum is stable before the put in has passed from the ref to the 9
    - so add a sentence to the PMB to make that clear -- eg : you need to make sure ensure it's stable before the ball comes in. If it's not stable I'll have to deal with it, and it would be a shame to be FKing you on your own throw in

no doubt other people were there, so correct me if that's not a fair summary.

Thread Information