Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RFU U14 regs/laws

The language in the U15 Variations within the U15-U18 RFU AG regs. remains similar, i.e.:

"6. Law 19 Line-Out:

(a) The lineout will be uncontested.

(b) Lifting and supporting is permitted at this age group, i.e. a player may bind to a jumper until he has returned to the ground."

As such my interpretation should hold. Otherwise there is no clarity of where you ultimately introduce the element of contest once the ball is caught and the player is on the ground.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 1 Week Ago at 17:09.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In southern ireland ,
    All youth matches are full laws .
    Only exception is u13 to u 15 = there is no lifting in line outs
    U 16 onwards you can lift .
    All scrums are 1.5 meters push max .

7 subs max ( non rolling ) ( providing meets front row replacement criterea )
    U 16 & u 18 were allowed 8 subs last year ( must have full front row cover )

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers Christy - that is what RFUland was until very very recently - full laws, no lifting, U19 global laws (ie squeezeball, wheeling, scrum push etc)

I have spoken with somebody that was significant within the RFU AG regs team until a couple of years ago. His take is Chuckie's and mine and that's what his squad played/plays.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This RFU FAQ was produced last year for U14 & U15 Lineouts:

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docum...AQ_Neutral.pdf

See the last item.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Still doesn't adress the "what happens when the catcher just runs up the pitch" scenario though does it.

when has the player carrying the ball left the lineout if having caught and landed he just hares off up the pitch? And is that what the law makers considered?

Let alone the esoteric and unlikely - but theoretically interesting - point raised by Dicke E.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the
    players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout
    ends."

also means

- static maul shaped thing is set on catcher, ball held by catcher. No one can defend this /touch this as the lineout is not over
    - maul shaped thing extends its length by three players. No one can defend/touch this as the lineout is not over
    - maul shaped thing moves forward two players length. Final player still has feet behind line of touch. No one can defend/touch this as the lineout is not over
    - player with ball at the head is now beyond immediate line of defenders , untouched.
    - player with ball detaches from maul like thing and hares off up pitch with oppo forwards all behind him.
    - any subsequent tackle and supporter running over ball has now placed all those forwards offside.

Q: Can the defending lineout players ever actually move backwards to face the ball carrying head of the maul like thing? isn;t that leaving the lineout before it is over ie the rear most feet of the maul like thing has not yet crossed the LoT ?

Of course its a daft scenario. And no i won;t be coaching it - but as much frankly because I have no faith that a referee would ever actually understand what was happening (except you guys because I've now told you!).

Extend that mail like thing's length to (say_ five players and the ball carrier could end up significantly upfield before running off. That maul like length could, with the addition of the scrum half - be effectively 9 players long, in a crocodile.

1.jpg

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Still doesn't adress the "what happens when the catcher just runs up the pitch" scenario though does it.

when has the player carrying the ball left the lineout if having caught and landed he just hares off up the pitch? And is that what the law makers considered?

Let alone the esoteric and unlikely - but theoretically interesting - point raised by Dicke E.

didds
    if he has caught it and his feet are on the ground the ball is deemed live as far as the opposition being permitted to contest. The discussion I had with the u14's coach confirms his understanding is the same and that is how they are coaching it.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    This RFU FAQ was produced last year for U14 & U15 Lineouts:

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docum...AQ_Neutral.pdf

See the last item.
    this was the document I remember but could not lay my hands on. The interesting difference is the different treatment for a ball caught by the opposition.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    if he has caught it and his feet are on the ground the ball is deemed live as far as the opposition being permitted to contest. The discussion I had with the u14's coach confirms his understanding is the same and that is how they are coaching it.
    I agree with you Chuckie - bit that isn't what is being alluded to in chbg's post just above where the claim is the uncontested part does not end until the lineout is over. And the items listed do not cover the catcher setting off upfield - because he cannot be tackled/stopped until he (carrying the ball) has left the lineout - whatever that may mean in the contex of a lone call carrier running UP the pitch.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I agree with you Chuckie - bit that isn't what is being alluded to in chbg's post just above where the claim is the uncontested part does not end until the lineout is over. And the items listed do not cover the catcher setting off upfield - because he cannot be tackled/stopped until he (carrying the ball) has left the lineout - whatever that may mean in the contex of a lone call carrier running UP the pitch.

didds
    Poor wording as usual, this time on the part of the RFU. Age grade rugby regs can be distilled into something much simpler than the rfu pump out. Read them carefully and you will see that they go lengths to repeat stuff that we accept as read but as if we are being told it for the first time! It's a case of, "Hang on, but that's what we've always understood it to be. Why are they repeating it in new language!" It just serves to confuse established coaches but is probably designed to be applied by a different and less knowledgeable audience as often happens in schools who are now finally signed up to AGR in its entirety.

The lineout ends in exactly the same way as for the full laws. That has no relevance to when the ball becomes playable/contestable and so it is an unnecessary repetition and a red herring.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 6 Days Ago at 22:09.

Thread Information