Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick hits own player - offence?)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kick hits own player - offence?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    But is the player offside? Yes he is in front of the ball, but once the ball has been passed away from a ruck we are in open play, this is where I get a little confused.
    Law 11 Definitions.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I haven't forgotten that.

Blue #10 made a decision that kicking the ball was more advantageous than holding onto the ball. This plan was thwarted because the ball ended up back where he didn't want it - in his hands. How is that an advantage?

PS: I only offer this as an intellectual exercise. Those that bemoan discussing law minutiae are encouraged to move on - nothing for you here.
    Eh? But... it's blue who's (accidentally) offended here. So you should be playing advantage to red, in which case blue keeping/regaining possession and scoring a try is a pretty big advantage.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    In the OP I would certainly blow for accidental offside.

However, for the sake of discussion: has Blue gained an advantage? Blue #10 started with the ball and ends up with the ball in the same location. Where's the advantage?
    surelky the advantage is that he gets the ball and not the opposition?

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Its clearly and obviously accidental offside (from the OP description).

no 10 metre law - the opposition didn;t catch it.

scrum down, oppo ball.

didds

Referees/Trains Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

But is the player offside? Yes he is in front of the ball, but once the ball has been passed away from a ruck we are in open play, this is where I get a little confused.
    Yes he is definitely offside, and he took part in the game, so he is liable to be penalised. You just need to decide if it's accidental or not. Could he have avoided being hit by the ball? If not it's accidental offside.

In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball.
    Offside means that a player is temporarily out of the game. Such players are liable to be penalised if they take part in the game.

Follow my blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    WOSRS
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

OK, sounds like accidental offside. There was o way he could have avoided the ball hitting him, he was only 2 metres from the kicking player. Thanks for the input guys, a lesson learnt. I know it might seem obvious in hindsight but at the time I couldn't get my head round what was wrong and why he was offside just because he was in front of the ball.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No 8 wasn't offside at the ruck, but as you say the ruck was now over - so we are back in open play.

No 8 was offside in open play as he was in front of a teammate who "last played the ball". If the ball had sailed downfield, there wouldn't be an issue, but it hit Blue 10 ie accidental offside AND they gained an advantage - as the ball ricocheted back to their kicker.

Blow up. "Accidental offside gents. Scrum. Red put in". Nobody will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Its clearly and obviously accidental offside (from the OP description). no 10 metre law - the opposition didn;t catch it.
    Que?
    Last edited by Taff; 6 Days Ago at 21:09.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

OK, sounds like accidental offside. There was o way he could have avoided the ball hitting him, he was only 2 metres from the kicking player. Thanks for the input guys, a lesson learnt. I know it might seem obvious in hindsight but at the time I couldn't get my head round what was wrong and why he was offside just because he was in front of the ball.
    he was offside entirely for the fact he was in front of the player who played the ball.

The one I had difficulty in getting my head around is when it was kicked against a player by the opposition and rebounded to a member of his own team in front of him. It was the issue that he hadn't "played" the ball in the way I understood it in my mind

fortunately that incident was from an opposition player trying to kick the ball out of a ruck and so as an issue it has fallen away somewhat.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    No 8 wasn't offside at the ruck, but as you say the ruck was now over - so we are back in open play.

No 8 was offside in open play as he was in front of a teammate who "last played the ball". If the ball had sailed downfield, there wouldn't be an issue, but it hit Blue 10 ie accidental offside AND they gained an advantage - as the ball ricocheted back to their kicker.

Blow up. "Accidental offside gents. Scrum. Red put in". Nobody will complain.

Que?
    somebody claimed it cold have been a 10m law. it can;t have been - no oppo was likely to cartch it near the point he was hit.

Innit?

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post

...no 10 metre law - the opposition didn't catch it...

Can you explain that bit?

11.4 OFFSIDE UNDER THE 10-METRE LAW
    (a) When a team-mate of an offside player has kicked ahead, the offside player is considered to
    be taking part in the game if the player is in front of an imaginary line across the field which
    is 10 metres from the opponent waiting to play the ball, or from where the ball lands or may
    land.
    The offside player must immediately move behind the imaginary 10-metre line or the
    kicker if this is closer than 10 metres. While moving away, the player must not obstruct an
    opponent or interfere with play.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

No opponent needs to catch the ball for the 10 mtr law to apply.

Thread Information