Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Calling for a pass from the other team?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Calling for a pass from the other team?

Indeed, I would think we all have.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Danish Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Well, if someone is not breaking any rules and is penalized nonetheless, the inevitable conclusion is that you are making your own personal set of rules. I stand correct, I am flabbergasted.

But let's do a hypothetical if you don't mind. You're officiating a big game, camera, mics, media, the lot. World is watching. I am a team captain. Let's assume, that as you stated you are in camp 2), you do not believe it is against the rules and i know that. For the sake of the argument and simplicity, let's also assume we are not allowed to lie and we are both intellectually honest.

You call a player from my team for calling a pass. I ask you, making sure it is loud and clear for the cameras: "sorry, i do not understand the call. What rule did we break? I'd like a specific answer please, sir. To adjust, if necessary".
    What's your response?

Again for the sake of simplicity and to make the conversation shorter, assume that if i do not get a straight answer, i will repeat the question ad nauseam, in low, clear and respectful tone.

The split second a referee cannot tell you what rule he is enforcing he's lost the plot.
    Easy: 9.26 joined with 6.5(a)...

6.5(a) is truly an all-power giving law. God bless the IRB

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For those of us who haven't yet learned the new law book by heart ... What do those laws say

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But anyway while those two laws (sole judge and contrary to good sportsmanship) give you the right to make it up as you go along ... They should be used with great caution , as you are still making it up as you go along .

I think you want to pull that rabbit out of the hat only in circumstances where you are confident that all the players would agree. And this is not one of those cases

- - - Updated - - -

But anyway while those two laws (sole judge and contrary to good sportsmanship) give you the right to make it up as you go along ... They should be used with great caution , as you are still making it up as you go along .

I think you want to pull that rabbit out of the hat only in circumstances where you are confident that all the players would agree. And this is not one of those cases

Soc/Assoc
    Danish Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

9.26 is the old 10.4(m)
    6.5(a) is my fave: "The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match. The referee must apply the laws of the game fairly in every match." (my emphasis)

"THE SKY IS NOW GREEN FOR THE NEXT 80 MINUTES. DEFY ME, I DARE YOU"
    Last edited by shnipvanwinkel; 17-01-18 at 18:01. Reason: font

Soc/Assoc
    Danish Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Or to reinforce your control over the match in the case which cross mentioned. Alternatively dissent if you tell him to get back and you'd explain to him after the match, to which he refuses. So many avenues.

Thread Information