Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kick off

Been looking through the archives and this is discussed nearly ten years ago so want to check it has not changed. It is not mentioned in the laws, but can the restart kick bounce before reaching the ten, then cross it and be a valid kick? I was under the impression no, but re reading the laws think I may be wrong
    Dave
    Berkshire Society Ref (L11)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kick off

It can in my games.

And yes you may be wrong.

And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Don't forget if the non kicking team choose to stop the ball going 10m it is play on and thus if they knock it on it's adv/scrum to the kicking team - not options for the non kicking team - if that all makes sense.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Now that this has been asked, I fully expect my next match to be kicked off, the ball to bounce before the 10m line, cross it and then be blown back into the kicking team's waiting arms, and that I'll then have to explain that that's fine to the irate players and onlookers.

Referees/Trains Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    Been looking through the archives and this is discussed nearly ten years ago so want to check it has not changed. It is not mentioned in the laws, but can the restart kick bounce before reaching the ten, then cross it and be a valid kick? I was under the impression no, but re reading the laws think I may be wrong
    There is no requirement in law for the ball to travel 10m "on the full". All that matters is did the ball travel to the 10m line, or didn't it.
    Sorry but on this one you are wrong. Learn from it and move on.

13.7 Kick-off of under 10 metres and not played by an opponent
    If the ball does not reach the opponent’s 10-metre line the opposing team has two choices:
    To have the ball kicked off again, or
    To have a scrum at the centre of the half-way line and they throw in the ball.

Follow my blog The Rugby Ref

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In a parallel world, the NFL retains the rugby 10 yard rule at a kick-off. Normally they kick long, but if they need to try and recover the kick, the so-called "onside kick" is driven into the ground so that it bounces high and awkwardly just over the required line. (It usually fails.)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Potomac Rugby Football Referees Society
    Grade
    C2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    In a parallel world, the NFL retains the rugby 10 yard rule at a kick-off. Normally they kick long, but if they need to try and recover the kick, the so-called "onside kick" is driven into the ground so that it bounces high and awkwardly just over the required line. (It usually fails.)
    Interestingly, my son quite often uses an 11m kick when the opposition aren't defending at the 10m line - his success rate of winning the ball is better than 50%.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is there any difference between this and a 22 drop out? The wording is slightly different for a drop out, in that it says the ball 'must cross the line' rather than reach the line; does this mean it should do so whilst in flight, or can a player perform a drop kick-grubber that rolls over the 22 without sanction?

I think convention says it should cross the line in the air, but I've often wondered what the correct interpretation of that law is.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Players DO do 22m grubbers .. they attempt to drop kick it 50cm forward over the line and regather it
    I don't know why as it rarely works.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely, Crossref, but do they not work because they misjudged the grub (so to speak) and the ball bounced before crossing the line, or just didn't make it across the line at all?

The occasional ones I've seen on telly, where they try to dink it to themselves, they invariably end up tripping over their feet/hands/ball/all of the above/delete as applicable and then play stops with hearty chuckles ringing around the stadium, even if the ball ends up on the other side of the 22m line, which leads me to believe the intention of the law book is for the drop out to cross the line before hitting the ground, although I've never sought official confirmation of that belief.

Happily, we don't seem to get too many drop outs in my games, and when we do they're more interested in walloping it 70m down field, so haven't yet had to make a call on that particular sort of situation!

Thread Information