Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Madrid
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Player exchange lineout formation

In a lineout situation before the ball is thrown, is it possible that the receiver gets in the lineout and another player of the lineout goes out and get the receiver position?

19.8(K) states that participating players in a lineaout may change places before the ball is thrown.

But are the receivers part of the lineout? Or only the players in the line to contest the ball are in the lineout?

Best

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Player exchange lineout formation

It is in the definitions

Players taking part in the lineout known as participating players. Players taking part in the lineout are the player who throws-in and an immediate opponent, the two players waiting to receive the ball from the lineout and the lineout players.
    So yes they may change places, but you must have ONE receiver. If the receiver comes into the line, someone must drop out to be receiver and vice versa.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    So yes they may change places, but you can only have ONE receiver. If the receiver comes into the line, someone must drop out to be receiver and vice versa.
    FTFY.

(You don't HAVE to have a receiver.)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So for clarity, if as OB points out you do not HAVE to have a receiver, can a team set up a thrower, a set of "jumpers" [yes - not all of them will typically jump! ] and a receiver... and before the throw occurs the receiver step into the line and nobody step out?

(I'm not sure that I'd coach a side of mine at the moment to do this FTR - if only because of the risk of knock backs/flaps having nobody to clear up!)

didds

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a team does this, I'd lean on 19.8(e), as the defending side must have an opportunity to match the now-changed numbers.
    Rules of thumb, YMMV:
    At any given point, half of the people in attendance will question a call.
    At some point during the game, every spectator will think/say that he/she can perform your role better.
    Referees who play are among the worst players to referee for.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    So for clarity, if as OB points out you do not HAVE to have a receiver, can a team set up a thrower, a set of "jumpers" [yes - not all of them will typically jump! ] and a receiver... and before the throw occurs the receiver step into the line and nobody step out?

(I'm not sure that I'd coach a side of mine at the moment to do this FTR - if only because of the risk of knock backs/flaps having nobody to clear up!)

didds
    No. If the throwing team want to insert the receiver without swapping with another lineout player, they mast do so after the throw.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    If a team does this, I'd lean on 19.8(e), as the defending side must have an opportunity to match the now-changed numbers.
    Agreed. 19.8(e) must refer to Lineout Players, rather than Participating Players.

But I would further lean on 19.8(d), in that the ex-Receiver did not approach the line of touch without delay, and not allow the change in numbers.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    Agreed. 19.8(e) must refer to Lineout Players, rather than Participating Players.

But I would further lean on 19.8(d), in that the ex-Receiver did not approach the line of touch without delay, and not allow the change in numbers.

but that would also exclude him from swapping with another line out player that drops out to take his place? because the receiver that entered had not approached the lineout without delay in that regard?

And this is allowable (see others' posts above)

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol

19..8 (i) Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver , then that player , must be
    positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout , and between the 5m and 15m
    lines , until the lineout begins.
    Once the lineout has commenced , the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform
    all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

No need, at this point to allow the non-throwing side to equalise numbers. Their receiver MAY follow the other one in but they don't have to nor, logically does the referee have to allow them time to do so. It would be physically impossible to do so!
    Last edited by Pegleg; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:10.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post

19..8 (i) Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver , then that player , must be
    positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout , and between the 5m and 15m
    lines , until the lineout begins.
    Once the lineout has commenced , the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform
    all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

No need, at this point to allow the non-throwing side to equalise numbers. Their receiver MAY follow the other one in but they don't have to nor, logically does the referee have to allow them time to do so. It would be physically impossible to do so!
    The post I was replying to was asking if the receiver could enter before the throw. Once the ball is mid-air, then the receiver can join without a swap.
    Rules of thumb, YMMV:
    At any given point, half of the people in attendance will question a call.
    At some point during the game, every spectator will think/say that he/she can perform your role better.
    Referees who play are among the worst players to referee for.

Thread Information