Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New laws. Are you now spotting more crooked feeds ?

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default New laws. Are you now spotting more crooked feeds ?

How are you getting on with the new laws. ?Specifically I am interested in the new guidance that the SH may stand a shoulders -width nearer his props at the scrum. Pre season, I was told this should prevent feeding. I watch a lot of rugby. I ref every Saturday and a lot of Sundays. I haven't yet seen any non-straight put-in being spotted or penalised as yet. Twas always thus, at elite level. On the evidence so far, the new law hasnt changed anything.
    Scrums are (still) 99% going with the head because there difficulty contesting them.
    I just wondered if anyone has decided to penalise feeding more, this season than last ?

BTW - I am not trying to moan as I am just as guilty as other refs that I watch. I haven't changed either . But just genuinely interested if people spotted a change this season compa we to last season.

Cheers

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New laws. Are you now spotting more crooked feeds ?

I've only had three games so far, and penalised (more strictly than I would have last season) skew feeds four times. Apparently scrum halves learn quickly.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

WRT the outcome of this new law, its just fiddling while Rome burns, failing to address the perceived issue rather than insisting (AGAIN!) the existing law is merely implemented correctly.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Nope!

Didn't have a problem before, don't have one now!
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Generally ive found scrums ok to manage .
    I have noticed where scrums are settling on set .
    And then 9 puts ball in ( of which i am happy with )

It looks a bit deceiving once following happens .
    9 throws ball in
    Receiving team can put push on & at same time loose head simply steps over ball as it goes in .

I have actually on had 1 squiff throw .
    Behind loose head foot & found it very easy to spot .as it looked too forced

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    WRT the outcome of this new law, its just fiddling while Rome burns, failing to address the perceived issue rather than insisting (AGAIN!) the existing law is merely implemented correctly.

didds
    Pretty much sums it up. No real difference now as there wasn't a problem before if the laws were enforced. I continue to be baffled why top level referees tolerate a feed into the second row. Why ignore this law but apply so many others so well?

Its not not like they don't know what they are doing, they are clearly at the top of the referee tree but insist on ignoring squint feeds. Bizarre.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. No real difference now as there wasn't a problem before if the laws were enforced. I continue to be baffled why top level referees tolerate a feed into the second row. Why ignore this law but apply so many others so well? Its not not like they don't know what they are doing, they are clearly at the top of the referee tree but insist on ignoring squint feeds. Bizarre.
    You and Didds are not alone.

What I find odd is that squint feeds are so easy to spot; lets be blunt, as offences go they are one of the easiest ones in the book to spot. The fact that they go unpunished so often suggests to me that the top referees aren't missing the squint feeds .... they are happy to turn a blind eye to them, just to get the scrum over as soon as possible. Personally, I reckon the escalating sanctions (FK for the first offence. PK for the second offence. PK and a warning for the 3rd offence and PK and YC for the 4th offence) was the work of a genius; yet how often did we see it used at elite level?
    Last edited by Taff; 1 Week Ago at 20:10.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I watched a game a couple of weeks ago and the 9 stood towards his opposition front row. I spoke to his coach and he said "he is allowed to do that under the new law!" I pointed out that he was standing nearer the opposition front row and I think he then got is as after the came near the touchline the 9 stood in the correct place thereafter.

The suggestion to us at out society training day was to not worry about feeds that went into the tunnel, but if they went behind the FR to penalise the lack of hook.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paule23 View Post
    Its not not like they don't know what they are doing, they are clearly at the top of the referee tree but insist on ignoring squint feeds. Bizarre.
    ...because out of the 957 things a referee has to do at scrum time, checking the straightness of the feed is thing #692
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 03:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    ...because out of the 957 things a referee has to do at scrum time, checking the straightness of the feed is thing #692

... yess.... but... it is probably the simplest thing (s)he has to do... At the levels these things are an issue there are two ARs to look for the other things for the nano-second it takes for the put in...

... and you guys at the grass roots seem to manage it without the benefit of ARs and TMOs.

didds

didds

Thread Information