Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Primary duties

Because every team must have one, or they don't play. At my club we send two or three parents from each junior team to the course each pre season and make sure we have at least one at every game our senior team play - usually me or my son
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 22-10-17 at 08:10.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Such a structure would only allow you to act as a TJ, surely?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    Such a structure would only allow you to act as a TJ, surely?
    Which part of "anyone with an official AR accreditation has the full authority of an AR and all teams are required to provide an accredited AR" causes confusion?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Because every team must have one, or they don't play. At my club we send two or three parents from each junior team to the course each pre season and make sure we have at least one at every game our senior team play - usually me or my son
    To me that feels like they are appointed , one by each club, ie duly appointed according to the regulations in place that give each club the power - and the obligation - to appoint ARs

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    To me that feels like they are appointed , one by each club, ie duly appointed according to the regulations in place that give each club the power - and the obligation - to appoint ARs
    100%.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The bit that says the AR will no doubt act with absolute impartiality when officiating in own club games. It makes absolute sense to differentiates the two roles. At what point does a self professed impartiality become a problem?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

99% (or at least the vast majority) of refs in Australia are L1. That let's you referee any amateur game. Many like me have done the Level 2 theory but never bothered to get the full accreditation. As has been said before, anyone here with an Ar accreditation is an Ar with full powers anytime they are on a sideline with a flag - appointed or not, and no game is supposed to kick off unless there are 2 accredited AR's
    Again highlighting the differnce between countries and the importance of cvorrect terminology. Here we have:

L1 - You can referee up to U16.
    L2 - You can referee anything up to Youth and what used to be called "district" rugby.
    L3 - You can referee in the Welsh League system. (this level has internal sub divisions. So Nigel O is a L3 in Wales but can referee higher than me).

All refs and indeed anyone can act as a TJ.
    All L2 and L3 refs can be appointed to act as an AR.

I can't rock up as say: "I'll be AR for you". Formal appointment has to happen.

Games under our "championship" will not have ARs and last season I ran touch in the last 16 of the Welsh cup but was not an AR as it was club provided TJs I justhappened to be a ref. The other side provided a committee man to do the job.

The Op (Irish) will work within their protocols.They may be very different or the same as yours or mine.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is there not a, potential, issue with a CLUB guy calling foul play anf possibly advising that a person from the other team be red carded?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Is there not a, potential, issue with a CLUB guy calling foul play anf possibly advising that a person from the other team be red carded?
    Of course, but in my experience the guys doing it take the job seriously. Most wear a distinctive shirt and are proud of the job they do. I've had guys report foul play and advise non awarding of tries against their own clubs plenty of times. Clubs and individuals soon get a reputation. Rugby here is a very small community

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I had this happen to me in my first senior game, between the two teams which ended up playing the grand final. Pretty ferocious game that was extremely physical and a fair bit of niggle which I didn't really deal with well enough. Both AR's were appointed, one neutral but the other was a L1 referee/AR from the home club. At 73 minutes with the home team down by 4, a very messy ruck occurred where the ball was turned over twice. The home AR flagged an incident as I saw a penalty against G11 for a side entry clean out and was going to the bin after a team warning. Stopped the game and got his report which consisted of "Green 11 stomping on Black player on the floor behind the ruck". I know the player who he claimed made the stomp and I'm thinking I'll eat my hat if he did that.
    Me "Ok, confirming that is was stomping of a player not in a ruck"
    Him "Oh yeah danced all over him"
    Me "Sanction Recommendation please?"
    Him As his expression changed to realise what I was thinking of calling his bluff "Oh, only a yellow, was only one stamp."
    Me "Really? A Yellow? (vigorous nodding from him)." Now I'm thinking BS. "Nope, Dancing on someone means Red Card, but you are doing the paperwork".
    Walked over to the Captain and G11, told him the sequence of events, issued the card and told him I'd talk to him after the match.

After the game, the confused player wanted to know what was happening, was he going to get suspended, etc. I told him that I'd write in the report what I saw and the behaviour of the AR and that the AR would need to outline what happened in his report, which I didn't think would happen so not to worry about it. AR never submitted a report and the player was not sanctioned, with the RC removed from him record. Maybe I shouldn't have called his bluff but the Green club still laugh about it every time I visit.....

Thread Information