Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default another touch incident ...

this is from Northampton v Saracens yesterday

https://youtu.be/Pu9S-p6z6gk?t=4726

Q1 - again, despite what the commentators say, this is all about the plane of touch right?
    Q2 - and the new Laws haven't changed anything, have they? same as last year
    Q3 - given this, which side of the plane does he catch it? Note that the AR isn't even positioned in the right place to tell (I would suggest it's impossible for us to tell - therefore give him the benefit of the doubt, play on)
    Last edited by crossref; 16-10-17 at 15:10.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: another touch incident ...

Q1 - again, despite what the commentators say, this is all about the plane of touch right? Not necessarily. Williams wasn't in touch when he caught the ball, so I reckon the "plane of touch" is irrelevant in this case.

Q2 - and the new Laws haven't changed anything, have they? same as last year. That's how I understand it. I wouldn't have called that in touch last season - and I wouldn't this season.

Q3 - given this, which side of the plane does he catch it? I would say it doesn't matter. He wasn't in touch when he caught it.

To me, this just goes to show that the best players need to know the laws inside out as well.
    Last edited by Taff; 16-10-17 at 15:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Q1 - again, despite what the commentators say, this is all about the plane of touch right? Not necessarily. Williams wasn't in touch when he caught the ball, so I reckon the "plane of touch" is irrelevant in this case.
    are you sure ? If he'd caught the ball a clear 1m beyond the touchline (and still landed in the FoP) you'd be OK with it?

I think he has to catch it the right side of the plane (and this case would give him benefit of doubt -- play on)
    Last edited by crossref; 16-10-17 at 15:10.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

One law change pertains to who put the ball in touch when the player catching it is in touch. See first amendment in Law 19 Definitions. Here the plane of touch comes into play.

If a player is standing in the FoP, or leaps from the FoP, to catch or play a ball into the FoP he may do so even if the ball has crossed the plane of touch. The second amendment to the Law 19 definitions clearly allows the ball to cross the plane.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

in this case he leaps from touch into the FoP, catching the ball while in the air (and is still holding the ball when he lands)
    Last edited by crossref; 16-10-17 at 16:10.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is one of those scenarios where referees are trying to reward positive play.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If the ball is successfully returned to the field of play without him being in touch, it is play on regardless of whether it has crossed the plane of touch or not.

Of that I am now clear. This example needs to go on the WR library of clips!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    SRU / ERRS
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me this is an error. Only players who jump from the field of play (ie ‘in-to-out’) can keep the ball in play. ‘Out-to-in’ players can only do so if the ball has not crossed plane of touch.

“If a player jumps from the playing area and knocks the ball back into the playing area (or if that player catches the ball and throws it back into the playing area) before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, play continues regardless of whether the ball reaches the plane of touch.
    A player in touch may kick or knock the ball, but not hold it, provided it has not crossed the plane of the touchline.”

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    If the ball is successfully returned to the field of play without him being in touch, it is play on regardless of whether it has crossed the plane of touch or not.

Of that I am now clear. This example needs to go on the WR library of clips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Smartie View Post
    For me this is an error. Only players who jump from the field of play (ie ‘in-to-out’) can keep the ball in play. ‘Out-to-in’ players can only do so if the ball has not crossed plane of touch.
    I think that despite Law 19 having loads of words ... it doesn't actually cover this scenario.

I suspect that if we sent to the question to WR they would agree with Blue Smartie -- because imagine if the catch was a full 1m outside the plane of touch --- it would then start to look very wrong.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The stuation does not meet any of laws for the ball being deemed to be in touch. As such it has not left the field of play and so there is not question to be asked about the plane.

Thread Information